So you want a letter of recommendation?
For a letter of recommendation, I prefer to have 2 weeks notice before the letter is due.
If you are a classroom student, you should have:
- A/B (or be on track to make an A/B)
- Good attendance, good attitude
- >1 prior interaction with me
If I am able to accept your request, email me these things and include “recommendation” or “reference” in the subject line:
- CV (graduate students) or resume (undergraduates).
Attach as PDF.
- What opportunity the letter is for and who it should be addressed to.
Include a description of the opportunity, if available.
- What they require within the letter.
Include criteria for evaluation, if available.
- When (date/time) the letter is due.*
- How the letter will be submitted.
Online or hard copy? Do I fill out a form or prepare a PDF?
- Why you want this opportunity.
Why is this job/scholarship/school/etc. a good fit for you?
- Any other information you can provide about why your qualifications, characteristics, interests and skill set make you a good match for this opportunity.
If you want a great letter, see:
*Please remind me about your letter:
- 1 week before it is due
- 1 day before it is due