day 72 — code 365
Mon 22 Feb 2016
My first day at General Assembly’s Web Development Immersive! Feeling a mix of excitement and apprehensiveness about embarking on something new. Also feeling the pressure of securing a job in the (now, quite near) future — this is definitely something that I am setting as a concrete metric.
Things we covered today:
- Talk about immersive learning and the realities of web development and (wider) programming
- Intro to using the command line
- Concept of a shell, and a terminal emulator
- basic bash commands — navigation, moving and creating files and directories,grep, head, tail
- Install iTerm2: another terminal emulator (like Terminal, but better)
Example of lesson learnt:
head -n 40 my_file | tail -n 1
Will give me line 40 of the file my_file
- Solve a mystery through the command line: the Terminal City Murderer!
Try to solve the mystery, and thanks for stopping by!