7 Tips for Preparing Your Mind for a Healthy Thanksgiving!
Thanksgiving is a little over a week away and it is time for us to start preparing for how to handle our eating for the day to stay on track with our goals and our health. The holidays in general are a time when we tend to let our guard down and forget our goals for a healthy lifestyle.
We pretend a day, a week, or a month of enjoying any food we want won’t make a difference. Eating the wrong foods even for a day will leave us sluggish, tired, and unmotivated. We won’t feel like working out or doing other important health related activities.
How to enjoy Thanksgiving and keep your health intact and your goals inline:
- Make sure your Thanksgiving dinner is prepared with healthy options everyone will enjoy. Turkey is a great food choice anytime, so enjoying Turkey on Thanksgiving as your main course will provide excellent nutrition. I personally love baking brussel sprouts and having a mixed vegetable. Enjoy a bite of everything else and you will stay on track.
- Use a smaller plate and don’t hesitate to go back for seconds. You will still eat less and you won’t feel deprived.
- Consider choosing between bread/rolls or dessert.
- Make sure you eat as you normally would on Thanksgiving. We think if we skip breakfast and/or lunch and then pig out at dinner we are saving calories. This is the worst thing you can do. Eating a nutritious breakfast will jump start your metabolism for the day and allow you to control your decisions at dinner.
- Be active in the morning and after dinner. Take a brisk walk, do a turkey trot or your normal workout in the morning. This will prepare your mindset into one of health and wellness. Going for a walk after dinner will help you digest the meal better and provide the energy you will need to tackle all the dishes.
- Don’t be afraid to stand your ground. Set the example for taking care of yourself and preserving your health. The young people at your table will take notice. It is ok to put yourself first and set a positive example.
- Be sure to rid of leftovers quickly. My personal tip is I never supply dessert. It is the thing I ask others to bring and then they have the option to take with them or I throw them in the garbage during cleanup!
Enjoy the holidays and be grateful for family traditions. My favorite tradition is to go around the table and express our gratitude for important things in our lives. Always be sure to include your health for everyone to hear!
About Amp Up Results
Amp Up Results applies their proprietary methodology “Total Ownership™” in creating a strategic corporate wellness program that shifts an organization into a wellness culture that is engaging for employees, profitable for organizations, and consistently measured for success.
Live Well is about being your absolute best every day? Having energy, being productive, sleeping through the night…ampupresults.com