Who decides what ideas are “extreme”?
Google and Facebook are creating systems to automatically remove content from “extremists”. At first glance this sounds like a good idea, but we need to be very careful when censoring speech.
The government is already considering prosecuting “climate change deniers” for their extremist views regarding the environment — would Google and Facebook feel comfortable automatically censoring speech branded extreme by the federal government?
Facebook employees already admit to censoring conservative news — is it far fetched to believe that content related to a fascist, racist, bigot like Donald Trump would be automatically tagged as extreme and censored?
Many of my friends on the left think the following views are “extreme”:
- that women should wear head scarfs
- that abortion should be illegal
- that marriage should be exclusively between a man and a woman
- that women should not drive
- that homosexuality should be punished by the death penalty
- that global warming isn’t anthropomorphic
- that illegal aliens should be deported
At the end of the day we need to think long and hard about censorship…