Was Alton Sterling murdered?
I don’t know. Well I mean, by definition, murder is the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another. The video is awful and shocking. I hate watching things like that when it’s not a movie. If it’s not fake - it makes me pretty sick. It seems like so often now we hear about a police shooting in the media. It’s always a black person who is a good family guy and everyone in the community will miss him.
In the case of Alton Sterling it doesn’t seem much different. People are sharing that it was an injust police brutality and murder. They are saying it is another example of racist policemen who are exerting their overpowered force onto a minority population. Can we all please take a step back and look at this from a big picture though? The media picks and chooses the story they want to tell. The media enjoys the race-baiting because it brings them more clicks and views and money.
What do we actually know about this case?
There’s a lot of facts out there, all you have to do is search for them: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=alton+sterling+case+facts
Here are a few:
- The police were responding to a disturbance call from a person who said a man was threatening people with a gun.
- The police were wearing body cams, but they had apparently fallen off in the scuffle.
- The convenience store owner witnessed the entire incident. He said that police shot him with a taser gun, but he did not go down immediately. The police eventually wrestled him to the ground and at some point someone yelled “gun.” At that point five or six shots rang out, he said, hitting Sterling in the chest. The man was not holding a weapon, Muflahi said, but added after the shooting the cops reached into Sterling’s pocket and took out a handgun.
From what I’ve read, let’s take a look at who Alton Sterling is. He is 37. He is a father of 5 kids. He has been selling CDs and DVDs outside for a few years. He possibly could have been involved with the Bloods gang. He is a sex offender and a domestic abuser. He has been arrested 17 times in the last 20 years.
- 9/09/96 aggravated battery
- 10/31/97 2nd degree battery
- 1/06/98 simple battery
- 5/04/00 public intimidation
- 9/20/00 carnal knowledge of a juvenile
- 9/04/01 domestic violence
- 5/24/05 burglary of an inhabited dwelling place
- 7/11/05 receiving stolen things
- 9/12/05 burglary of inhabited dwelling place
- 3/17/06 simple criminal damage to property, simple robbery, simple theft, drug possession, misrepresentation during booking, simple battery, aggravated battery
- 4/12/06 aggravated battery, simple criminal damage to property, disturbing the peace, unauthorized entry
- 4/04/08 domestic abuse battery
- 6/03/09 resisting an officer, drug possession, receiving stolen things, possession of stolen firearm, illegal carrying of a weapon with CDs, sound reproduct without consent
- 10/12/09 illegal carrying of weapon, marijuana possession
- 8/13/15 failure to register as a sex offender
- 4/08/16 failure to register as a sex offender
- 6/14/16 ecstasy and marijuana possession
Seeing all of this, it’s easy to picture that this guy would be more likely to get shot by the police. So were these cops racist? Did they shoot someone in cold blood knowing there were many cameras around to film them? I don’t believe so. I believe they were doing their job and had an unfortunate encounter with a large black criminal who was illegally carrying a gun. But that’s not what the media would like you to believe.
For example Huffington Post has this article http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/13-painful-facts-about-alton-sterlings-life-and-death_us_577d1220e4b09b4c43c1b14e
It’s clearly a very liberal article avoiding any facts about the case and trying to play on your uneducated empathy. Point #6 is an immoral misrepresentation of the truth.
“Since January, there have been 558 police killings in America and Sterling is the most recent person on that list, according to The Counted. The Counted is a project launched by The Guardian that tracks police killings in America revealing that most victims are people of color.”
When you read that, you want to believe that a majority of police killings in America are black. You want to see that and believe that cops are racist. However of the 560 police killings as of this writing, 269 of them are white and 135 of them are black. So the facts are 48% of the deaths are caucasians and 52% of them are not caucasians or unknown. Technically 52% is a majority, but that includes Native Americans, Hispanics, Asians, Blacks and Unknown. But I’m sure people will read this article and assume that the police kill more black people than anyone else. I’m also sure that the public mob won’t care about statistics involving crime rate and race that can be skewed in almost every way possible.
The real moral here is don’t live a life like Alton Sterling. Also don’t listen to media biases. Get the entire picture before forming your beliefs. The cop was not happy he shot him. Does racism exist? Yes. But this is not a race issue, so please don’t make it one.
So was Alton Sterling murdered?