I got the opportunity to participate at FileMaker DevCon EMEIA (Europe) this year. It was held in 6 different countries (Netherlands, UK, Austria, Sweden, France, and Spain) over a 2-week period and attended by over 700 Partners and In-House Developers.
Three of us traveled from US to participate — Brad Freitag (VP, WW Sales), and Julie Sigfrinius (Global Partner Manager). The schedule and travel was no joke! Here are some stats…
- Flew over 15,000 miles on 9 different flights
- Stayed in 8 different hotels
- 6 Keynotes
- Couple of train rides
- Couple of car hires
- Plenty of Uber / Lyft services
- Miles of walking
- Lost count of meetings including lunch and dinner engagements
Our EMEIA team joined too — Dan Blake (Sales Director, EMEIA), Douglas Wallis (Solutions Consultant), and Andrew Lane (Head, EMEIA Marketing).
Majority of the events were ran and hosted by our FileMaker Partner Alliance (FBA) members. They did an amazing job with identifying hotel and conference facility, cater for meals and snacks, and agenda including sessions and speakers. HUGE respect and applause to them!
- Community — I was able to meet new people during these 14-days, majority I met for the first time. What came through every conversation is their passion of the FileMaker platform, and FileMaker is not like anything else on the market. It provides tremendously flexibility to build with FileMaker Pro/Advanced, scale to FileMaker Go leveraging iOS (iPhone/iPad), and FileMaker WebDirect. Ability to deploy and manage your custom apps on FileMaker Server (Mac/Windows) or FileMaker Cloud running on AWS.
- Partnership — Sharing our story and positioning with 42U partnership allowing students will get exposed to the real-life custom app development work that FileMaker partners and FileMaker platform. This reinstated with the community to attract newer developers to our community
- FileMaker 16 impact — released in May this year and what an impact it’s made. The number of conversations and feedback I got during these 2–weeks was incredible.
- Data API Trial — I was amazed with the number of sessions and discussions on API’s during these events. The community is embracing the investment our engineering has applied during this release cycle.
- Impact of ALS video — Brad showed the recent ALS video during each Keynote. It certainly had an impact on everyone in the room, and reminds us the value of time, and how powerful our platform is to help in any scenario and use-case.
I was honored to spend time with amazing and creative people. It was a great way to reflect back on my 3-year anniversary as a FileMaker employee, and why I love doing what I do.
Continue building amazing custom apps and make an impact!
Senior Product Manager, FileMaker, Inc.