The Most Comprehensive Guide for Global Talent Visa (UK Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa in Digital Technologies)
First of all, briefly about me. My name is Andrii Seleznov, I am the recipient of Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa in Digital Technology and I live in London, UK. I have a trinity of interesting tech startups (PetioleX, Alfatrener, Metal Ear) and a bunch of inspiring advisory roles (WeLoveDetecting, LikeKim, Hemp Pride, Climanator, TLA Ukraine). But let’s focus on you and on our main topic.
So, you have finally decided to apply for Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa (or it is called now Global Talent Visa), where to start? What to do? How to apply for Tech Nation Visa? I know millions of details about exactly this visa route since I applied for it. However, even for other routes, key advice will be relevant.
Today I decided to demonstrate to you my own collection of useful links for Global Talent Visa (Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa) resources.
Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa General Guide
Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa was announced on November 12, 2015, by the UK Government. This is a special immigration scheme designed for talented individuals in the 11 fields to work and live in the UK. Specifically, you may get Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa in:
- Science and Medicine;
- Digital Technology
- Arts and Culture;
- Film and Television.
Depending on your field of expertise, you need to check different resources to get as much information about this visa, as possible. In any case, your starting point must be Home Office as a governmental body of the United Kingdom provides the simplest and the easiest brief about this visa route.
However, from my own experience, I can say that reading a brief is not enough. Hence, I recommend you to read this Global Talent Visa Guidance from the Home Office to get all the legal details.
Advantages of Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa
- You don’t need to have the UK sponsor to get Global Talent Visa
- Your English could be like mine (joke :)). In other words, no language tests requirements.
- The salary threshold is absent.
- Permission to work in the UK is granted automatically to you.
- If you want to be self-employed, then just do it!
- You are welcome to bring dependants and they can work in the UK as well.
- After three years on Exceptional Talent (or five years on Exceptional Promise), you can apply for further life in the UK without a visa (called Indefinite Leave to Remain or ILR). And then just in a year — become a British citizen🇬🇧
As you can see, these options are completely different from the other UK immigration categories. Hence, if you want to try to get Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa, I completely understand why.
Disadvantages of Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa
- You have no access to public funds. However, you come to the UK to earn money. Hence, this condition is logical and fair.
- You cannot work as a sportsperson or a dentist. I even don’t know what to add. It is definitely reasonable!
- You must work only within the area of your expertise. However, this aspect can be an advantage as well :). In fact, you can work in a different area, but you definitely must have income from your expertise.
Then, when you will feel strong to continue, chose your field. For academic fields you need to recognise one of the following bodies:
- The Royal Society. If your expertise is in science and medicine, please, read the basics in Q&A format or if you cannot find an answer to your question, write it to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Royal Academy of Engineering. Engineers with academical background must apply for Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa in Engineering and firstly read the most frequent questions and Guidance for Applicants.
- The British Academy is a designated body for applicants in humanities. If you are the prospective applicant and have your questions, read Frequently Asked Questions and then contact email@example.com
What is similar for these fields — they have a very clear structure of fast-track option and standard application. For example, choosing between Senior appointments, Individual fellowships and Endorsed funders you will have a fast-track endorsement. In Peer review option you will have a standard endorsement process. For more details, you need to follow an Applicant Decision Tree.
There is a higher number of non-academic fields:
- Tech Nation is an endorsement body for talents in digital technology. This article is mainly focused on Tech Nation Visa. Hence, stay tuned and scroll down :).
- Arts Council England endorses leading artists who want Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa in Arts and Culture. Particularly, they must work in the area of Combined Arts, Dance, Literature, Music, Theatre or Visual Arts. You can download FAQ and the main guide for this route.
- British Fashion Council, for fashion
- Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA), for architecture
- Producers Alliance for Cinema and Television (PACT), for film and television
There is also a special category of these visas for research applicants.UK Research and Innovation (UKRI), for research applicants.
Articles by past applicants who got Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa
I think it is always great to have at least two opinions on something. Hence, after the official information, it is the best time to read real stories of people, who applied for Global Talent Visa.
I have read all of these stories and can say that all of the successful applicants have done a great job. There is no person who got visa just doing something ordinary and routine.
- Natsumi Kuroda: How did I get the Tier1 (Exceptional Talent) Visa, endorsed by Arts Council
- Andrii Seleznov: How do I get Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa and move to London?, endorsed by Tech Nation
- Elizabeth May: How I got the Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) the UK, endorsed by Arts Council
- Ryzal Yusoff: How I got my UK TechNation Exceptional Talent Visa, endorsed by Tech Nation
General Questions about Global Talent Visa (UK Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa)
Endorsement Stage or Stage 1 is the first step to Global Talent Visa. On this stage, your visa application will be assessed. As a result, you will either get an Endorsement or not.
Assessment is conducted by the panel of experts in the designed body. For Tech Nation Visa, we have Tech Nation and digital experts there estimate your potential value for the UK economy and digital ecosystem.
Below I collected the most relevant articles on key topics for Endorsement stage. Almost all of them are free. I think you will get answers to the most frequently asked questions but if you still have any question, please, let me know.
- Am I qualified for Tech Nation Visa?. This is a general introduction to eligibility for Global Talent Visa in Digital Technologies.
- PhD for Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa. If you don’t have PhD you can be still eligible to get Global Talent Visa in Digital Technologies (and some other non-academic fields)
- Tech Nation Visa for Computer Scientists (and not only). This article will be helpful if you have a degree (even, PhD) in Computer Science and consider to apply for Tech Nation Visa.
- Job Offer for Global Talent Visa. Please, read this article if you are curious about the job offer and your Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa application. Do you need a job offer to apply? The short answer is “no” but for more details, follow the mentioned link.
- SAP and UK Global Talent Visa. This article will help you to understand are you eligible if you are expert in SAP. This is one of the frequent questions, which I get from applicants.
- Age and Education for Talent Visa. Find answers to questions about eligibility from developers with 15+ years of experience. And people without University education in digital technologies.
- First Steps to Apply for Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa. This is a brief introduction about what you need to have in order to start your preparations for the Global Talent Visa application.
- Basics of Business Route in Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa. Here I explain that Tech route and Business route are different (not only because of the title). It will be useful to read for business people before applying for Global Talent Visa.
- 32 Painless Steps to Get Global Talent Visa. This article is my own bestseller :). I explained all the visa process in just 32 steps to do.
Exceptional Talent or Exceptional Promise
- Talent or Promise? 3 Differences in Exceptional Visas. I made a general overview of two categories of Tech Nation Visa. In brief, if you have a Nobel Prize then you’re definitely an Exceptional Talent :).
- Can Tech Nation Change Exceptional Promise to Exceptional Talent?. The short answer is “yes”. But, please, be curious. Read the details since this ‘yes’ is not the rule at all!
- Exceptional Promise with 10+ Years of Experience. I know many recipients of Global Talent Visa, who have over 10 years of experience. But they have got Exceptional Promise (not Exceptional Talent!). Do you wonder why?
- A new digital field for Key Criteria. This article will help to clarify do you work in a new field of Digital Technology or not.
- Equity as evidence for Key Criteria. For startup founders (and employees) this will be truly good reading. Equity can evidence your exceptional status!
- Mentorship for Global Talent Visa. This is truly my favourite topic because I love mentorship. As well as my mentees and mentors ♥
- Evidence of Employment Contract for Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa. Personally, I use the extract from my employment contracts to demonstrate my exceptional skills in digital technologies. Perhaps, this article will be good for you too.
- Key Criteria: Innovation by You as a Team Member. One of the unclear moments is how to prove contribution to an innovative product if you are a part of the world-class team. The puzzle is solved, read via the link.
- Academic Contribution as Criteria for Global Talent Visa. Read this if you have something to demonstrate as your academic contribution.
- Continuous Learning: Not The Easiest Qualifying Criteria. I’ve heard a hundred times how people consider a Coursera certificate or a diploma from 1-day training as evidence for these qualifying criteria. Unfortunately, this is not true.
- How to Write Personal Statement by Yourself. This is just the basics to the huge topic of how to sell yourself as an expert in digital technologies.
- Quotes in Personal Statement not allowed. Links too. A few formal requirements wrapped in real questions from Tech Nation Visa applicants.
- 4 Important Aspects of Personal Statement for Global Talent Visa. Pay attention to these moments since they can be life-saving for you.
- Proofreading Personal Statement: comments and ideas. I can proofread your Personal Statement. But, first of all, I ask you to read the Disclaimer (shortly, you will get just my opinion about your draft, nothing else). Secondly, I am good with Digital Technologies. Any other fields are not relevant. After reading Personal Statements by applicants in Medicine, Engineering and Arts I feel that I can point on the general problems in the draft but nothing specific.
- How long are 7,000 characters with spaces? As you, probably, know, your Personal Statement must be as long as 1,000 words or 7,000 characters. Since I’ve been asked about this topic, I decided to shed light on it as well.
- Feedback on Personal Statement. This is one of the examples of feedback, which I’ve provided to the applicant for Tech Nation Visa regarding his draft of Personal Statement.
Letters of Recommendation
- Main Rules for Letter of Recommendation. Again the basics. However, at this time it is about the letter of recommendation. You must have three letters and these rules are applicable for all of them.
- Who cannot give you a powerful letter of recommendation?. Referees (in other words, people, who give you letters of recommendation) is a separate topic. There are some categories of professionals, who cannot give you a valuable recommendation letter.
- A Full Guide on How to Get a Letter of Recommendation. I remember how I sit in front of the screen with LinkedIn opened. I check each profile in my network and consider a person about the Letter of Recommendation. Do I know this person nicely? Does this person know me? Can I ask about a recommendation? These are just three questions from dozens in my head…
- 1 out of 3: which referee for Letter of Recommendation is the best? In this article, I speak a lot about the profile of the referee and each characteristic of your future referee. Pay attention to expertise, status, the history of your relationship with the person and his or her reputation.
- Electronic Signature on Letter of Recommendation. One of the frequently asked questions in our digitalized age. In brief, yes, in most cases it will be acceptable. However, check the article for some details.
- Choose Between Different Referees. If you are lucky enough, then you will have more than three people to ask about a recommendation letter for your Global Talent Visa. Who is the best — how to choose?
- CV of Referee in Letter of Recommendation. Quite interesting topic because you definitely must attach a brief CV or resume of the referee to the letter of recommendation. Here I wrote some additional material about the length of such a document.
- Letter of Recommendation: Questions about Address and Template. This is just two popular questions. Hence, I decided to write a post about them.
- Number of Supporting Documents. Basics about up to 10 documents, which will prove your exceptional talents and abilities.
- Supporting Letter vs. Letter of Recommendation: 8 examples. Some of the letters of recommendation are not good enough to be attached to this role. But they have value as separate evidence. We call them supporting letters. Read more about the difference between these two categories and find other useful thoughts.
- 12 Types of Ten Supporting Documents. A quick brainstorm on the topic which type of documents you can add to your Global Talent Visa application.
- 45 Examples of Documents for Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa. Real examples of packages for Tech and Business route of Tech Nation Visa.
- Value of Documents and Evidence. Additional insight about the documents, their role and weight in Global Talent Visa application.
Samples of Documents
This is my collection of samples, which can provide an overall understanding of what level and quality of documents you must provide to get Endorsement:
- Hard Truth About Templates for Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa
- Sample of Personal Statement for Business Route by Startup Founder
- Sample of Personal Statement for Business route by Marketing Manager
- Sample of Personal Statement for Tech route by Software Developer
- Sample of Letter of Recommendation from Investment Advisor
- Sample of Letter of Recommendation from CEO of a company
- Example of CV for Global Talent Visa
- Extract of Employment Contract as a Supporting Document
This is one of the sad but regular topics for questions as well. Each applicant has 50 / 50 in chances to get Endorsement or get an invitation for Endorsement review. These materials will be helpful for people who want to avoid mistakes. And for those, who already made them:
- 5 honest reasons to apply for an Endorsement Review. I think if you have the smallest concern about non-Endorsement, then you must apply for Endorsement Review. It will give you some internal peace, at least.
- 8 easy steps of Endorsement Review in Global Talent Visa
- Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa rejects: what’s next?
- 8 Alarming Reasons for Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa Refusal
- Guideline for Endorsement Review in Global Talent Visa
- Fresh application after lost Endorsement Review
- Is any bias in the Endorsement Review by Tech Nation?
Payments, including Immigration Health Surcharge
Exceptional Talent Partner and Exceptional Talent Child
Switch to Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa (Global Talent Visa)
Also, I wrote a little bit about people who want to switch from Tier 2 (Tier 1 or Tier 5) to Global Talent Visa. Separately, I wrote about Tier 4 Student Visa recipients who want to have a Global Talent Visa. However, legally, they must leave the country in order to apply for this unique visa route:
- Tier 2 to ILR: Global Talent Visa route
- Switch to Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa from Student Tier 4
- Switch from Tier 4 General Student Visa
Additional must-do reading
- Gossips about chances to get Global Talent Visa. This is a collection of the most popular facts, that people believe in. For example, if you apply on the full moon on Friday 13 *plus will add a photo of your black cat* you won’t get it :).
- Police Registration of Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa Recipient. For some categories of Global Talent Visa recipients, there is a need to register in the police. I was one of those people. Hence, I wrote about this point as well.
- 30+ template phrases for Personal Statement and Letter of Recommendation
- Changes to Global Talent Visa and Office for Talent. Even if the first part of the article about changes to the Global Talent Visa route may be a little bit outdated (if you read this article in 2021). However, the other part about the Office for Talent is still relevant and demonstrate the governmental approach to innovation and talents.
- Global Talent Visa in COVID-19
- 10 secrets of CV / Resume for Global Talent Visa
I wrote this article in September and published in October 2020. Time after time I will do my best to update the article with more relevant materials. If you have any questions about Global Talent Visa or comments about this article or my blog, please, let me know your thoughts.
And good luck with your Global Talent Visa application. I sincerely wish you to join our army of talented folks in the UK :)