Think and Grow Rich is a personal development and self-improvement book by Napoleon Hill. It is part of what I call my personal bibles; books that I have read multiple times and keep close to me. I have found the material in these books to have such impact, that I use them as personal guides and refer back to them frequently.
By 2015 over 100 million copies of Think and Grow Rich had been sold worldwide. The book is the result of a twenty year study that Hill did on the habits of individuals that had achieved massive success and amassed great fortunes. Hill attributes much of the inspiration to write this book to Andrew Carnegie, one of the richest people in history.
The book lays out what Hill calls the “13 steps toward riches:”
- Desire: The Starting Point of All Achievement
- Faith: Visualization of, and Belief in Attainment of Desire
- Autosuggestion: The Medium for Influencing the Subconscious Mind
- Specialized Knowledge: Personal Experiences or Observations
- Imagination: The Workshop of the Mind
- Organized Planning: The Crystallization of Desire into Action
- Decision: The Mastery of Procrastination
- Persistence: The Sustained Effort Necessary to Induce Faith
- Power of the Master Mind: The Driving Force
- Sex Transmutation: The Mystery of Sex Transmutation
- The Subconscious Mind: The Connecting Link
- The Brain: A Broadcasting and Receiving Station for Thought
- The Sixth Sense: The Door to the Temple of Wisdom
Autosuggestion has had the most impact on me. This varies from reader to reader, but for me personally, Autosuggestion is the most powerful of all the steps. Autosuggestion, simply put, is self-suggestion. It is the vehicle by which you transmit thoughts from your conscious mind to your subconscious mind, and this is where the magic happens. You can consciously think positive thoughts, but in order for them to be put into action, they need to reach your subconscious mind, and the only way to do this is by allowing thoughts to remain in the conscious mind, involuntarily, or voluntarily through the principle of autosuggestion.
Whichever thoughts dominate your conscious mind end up reaching your subconscious mind and turn into reality. This is why it’s important to be careful with negative thinking and remove all negative thoughts, and practice the principle of autosuggestion with what you want to achieve.
“Whatever the mind can conceive and believe it can achieve.”