Table of Contents
- Intro: What are you doing here? What do you want to do? What is this portfolio in progress saying?
2. Cover Letter. Intro: Would YOU call you for an interview? Why or why not?
3. Rhetorical Analysis 1: Coate’s “Letter to My Son” from Between the World and Me
4. Rhetorical Analysis 2: an essay you’re drawn to in the Inquiry Inspiration section in Content. Focus on what it’s doing that you’d like to do in your inquiry paper.
5. Possible Topics for Inquiry Paper
6. Some answers from the topic questionnaire (in the “More On Topics” section in assignments.)
7. How you decided on your topic
9. ROUGH, ROUGH DRAFT of inquiry paper
10. Describe your writing process
11. Brief description of each trip to the writing center (four by end of sem)
12. Early report on your research. Successes, frustrations.
13. Journal Entries (5)
14. Share The Love
3. Rhetorical Analysis 1
The piece “Letter to My Son” by Coates deals with the racism that used to, and still to this day, takes place in the United States. Coates goes into this sense of discretion, that he feels the white man has on the other race. He provides his opinion in a crucial way, as he reflects on what has taken place in American history. I feel that Coates goal of his piece was for it to give people an understanding of what he feels the black man has gone through and has dealt with throughout time. In my opinion, he feels that the white man is blessed and simply better than the black man. His piece could be successful with me, but I feel that he’s just saying the bad side of what has happened to blacks throughout history. His opinions work well, because he feel’s that they are proving the point that he is writing to his son.
Some ideas that stuck out to me, were some of the things that Coates had said in his piece. One thing that he said that gives you an idea to tackle was when he said “They made us into a race. We made ourselves into a people.” This quote could give you a topic to tackle because it could provide a bunch of arguments, agreeing and disagreeing with it. Also, personally, I feel that his piece is something that you shouldn’t do. I say this because it seems like Coates, though has great reason, is rambling on with the hate on the black community. His work is amazing, as he definitely proves his point, but he seems to just say the bad, without providing any good.
Coates piece, gives a reader a good understanding of what had happened to the blacks, in American history, not just then but now. He gives more than enough information, but he also provides the reader of something to think and talk about. Also gives them a chance to say what they feel about this subject matter.
Coates, T. (n.d.). ‘Between the World and Me’ by Ta-Nehisi Coates — The Atlantic. Retrieved September 9, 2015.
2. Cover Letter
To whom it may concern,
Hi, my name is Andrew Conklin and I am interested in working at your dunkin donuts. I was searching for jobs and this one came across to me. I read about it on craigslist and I was immediatley interested in it. Personally, I feel that I would be good for the job because I am a proud customer of Dunkin and I love the coffee. I wouldn't mind giving it an attempt to make it. Also, I've been told by family and friends that I make a pretty solid coffee.
I believe that I am well qualified for this job because I have found a liking in making coffee. I love coffee, almost drink it everyday, and I feel that could be used as a stepping stone on why I would love this job. Also, I feel that I would be able to create a bond with the customers that come in, and be able to insure that they'll come in.
I've worked at a pizza place, and know how to deal with people. I have patience in the people and I feel I am capable of working at Dunkin. Hopefully, I am able to get this job at Dunkin.
13. Journal Entries
- I believe that we will win.
- I believe in getting drunk.
- I believe with hard work, comes reward.
- I believe that hard work pays.
- I believe working out a situation is the right choice
- I believe that violence is not the answer.
- I believe that Lukasz will one day get a five.
- I believe that I’m going to have a fun weekend.
- I believe that everyone should play sports.
- I believe that I can get an “A” in all of my classes.