Since there are tons of great recipes and tutorials already out there, I will just give you the basics!
For detailed instructions, check out this post: http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-kombucha-tea-at-home-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-173858
Supplies You’ll Need:
- 6 Quart Pot with Lid (to make the tea in)
- (2) 1 Gallon Glass Jars with Cloth Covers (to brew in)
- Stainless Steel Funnel
- Glass Bottles (to store your finished product)
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- 1 cup sugar
- 8 bags black or green tea
- 2 cups starter tea (can be from previous batch, or store bought)
- 1 scoby (use the remnants from store-bought kombucha, or ask a friend!)
- Fill your 6 quart pot with about 4 quarts of water.
- Once boiling, stir in 1 cup sugar until dissolved.
- Steep 8 bags of tea in the water, sugar mixture for about 1 hour.
- Remove tea bags and cover pot until cool (may take overnight or all day).
- Using funnel, pour your tea into your glass jar(s).
- Add scoby and starter tea to each jar.
- Cover with coffee filter or cotton cloth, sealing with rubber bands.
- Wait 5–10 days, tasting after 5 days.
- Once your kombucha is to your taste [some like it sweeter (less days brewing), some like it more vinegary (more days brewing)], funnel it into your glass bottles (leaving about a cup left in each brewing jar) and refrigerate.
- This is a cyclical process, so leave your scoby and cup of remaining tea in your brewing jar until you’re ready to brew another batch.