10 Maths and Science Activities for Toddlers and Preschoolers
One of the best things of toddler play is that every fun activity can become a tiny science or a maths experiment. Some simple activities can help your child learn while playing.
Let us now have a look at some of the Maths and Science activities that are ideal for Toddlers and preschoolers.
- The Float Activity: This is one fun activity where kids can create their own hypothesis. Just fill a tub with some water and add various items to it. You can now ask your child to see if each one of those objects floats or sinks. You can as well take two bowls with Sink and Float written on it and ask the kids to sort out the objects.
- The Tree Trunk Explorations: One can cut around 10–12 tree blocks of 1 or 2 inches in size. These blocks can be used for various purposes, like to stack, measure, sort or place them by size or kids can also use a magnifying glass to explore the tree trunk more and count the rings in it.
- The Color Theory: Parents can take 3 different colors in different bowls and give an empty bowl and an eye dropper to the kid. Ask the kid to mix two different colors and check the color it’s going to make. Your kid would for sure love this.
- The Bubbling Baking Soda: This is one experiment kids are going to love for sure. Kids love balloons and this activity has the use of some balloons. All you need to do is to take a balloon and blow it by using the gas which comes from vinegar and baking soda. It’s simple. Just add 2 ounces of vinegar to a water bottle and then add a tablespoon of baking soda to the balloon. The secure the balloon tightly to the mouth of the bottle and make sure that the baking soda is inside the balloon and does not fall inside the bottle. Once secured shake the balloon making sure that the baking soda falls in the vinegar mixture in the bottle. Once done, you can see the magic happen.
- Compare foot sizes: You can place your feet next your kids and ask your kid to compare the feet sizes; which one is bigger and which is smaller. This can help them learn about comparison and they will be able to differentiate between sizes.
- Guess the weight: Take your kid along with you the next time you visit a supermarket. Ask them to hold the packets to understand more about weights.
- Measure while cooking: You can fill the measuring cups with flour or water and use the measuring spoons so that you can introduce the concept of numbers to your kids. You can start by asking them to fill half a cup or half a spoon.
- Identify Shapes: You can ask your kid to identify various shapes of the objects in your home.
- Make a Map: You can ask your kid to make a map of his room or of your house. He can place and also space the furniture and this way he will know how close or distant the objects are placed.
- Count objects: You can start introducing numbers to your toddler by counting the buttons on his shirt or with the use of fruits or the spoons or forks on the table.
The above mentioned are some easy to try math and science activates for kids. Just try these and your kid is for sure going to like these and will ask you for some more.