A Culture of Team First
If another team member asks for help, which of the following is better for team morale and productivity?
- Drop whatever you are doing and help them
- Complete whatever you are on and only then try to help them
Its a difficult proposition. I believe we should drop whatever we are doing and help immediately. While I have to context switch, as it helps the team overall. There are a few small things to take care of though.
- If there is someone else best to help, engage them.
- Find out what they have already tried before seeking help.
- Don’t take over and do the work. Help!
I believe that builds a culture of team-first where people own solving problems but also open to seek help when needed. And if you are thinking team-first, you wouldn’t waste a team member’s time asking for trivia.