Believe it or Not
Our first full project we were assigned was to complete six A2 drawing/mark-making pieces in two weeks with the theme “Believe it or Not.”
I had a bit of difficulty figuring out what to do at first because I found the brief to be so vague with so many possibilities it was hard to narrow it down to just one. To help me out I went out photographing, capturing everything I could see so I would have plenty of reference material for later. I might upload some of the nature/macro photos I took later because I quite like a few of them.
At the end of the day I ended up in a graveyard, purely out of curiosity to see if there was anything worth photographing, when I started to look at the statues. Here are a few I took which I used as reference images for my project.
Originally when I looked at these I was going to go for a “Light” v “Dark” theme, which could also be taken as “Good” v “Bad” or, more literally, “Believe” or “Not Believe” but when I started working on the project this fell away as the more I looked at each image the harder it was for me to see belief in it and the images looked more negative to me. But I think the great and interesting thing about a project like this is it’s very open to interpretation and every person that views it will see something different.
I started to finalise my plans for each individual piece, choosing mediums but doing tests of what might work best for each image, colour schemes by researching into colour psychology and basic colour theory, and then planning how to go about it to ensure all six pieces would be completed within the two week deadline.
The mediums I used were Watercolours, Acrylic, colouring pencils, biro pen, tinted charcoal, chalk pastel pencils, and regular drawing pencils.