Importance of IT Security Service for your Business
We live in a digital world where all data and information is circulated through cyberspace. As a business, you do everything to protect your business against intruders, theft, damage and other malicious acts. In the same way, data residing on the cyberspace need protection.
Security breaches at huge retailers affect millions of people across the world. But this is not only bigger ventures that are targeted; small businesses are also targeted by malicious hackers and intruders. Although you are running a very small business and cannot spend much time as well money on cyber security, but if your business is on the web, your data security is as important as the safety of your physical inventory. Here comes the role IT Security.
What is IT Security?
IT security, also known as computer security or cyber security is a term used for practicing the protection of your information systems from theft and damage to the hardware, software, network and data. It also saves these systems from disruption of the services they provide.
Let’s understand it with an analogy — When you browse a banking portal for your account, the IT security implemented behind, makes sure that only you can see or change the information to your checking account. So the overall goal of cyber security is to sustain the confidentiality and integrity of this kind of sensitive information for you as well as your customers.
Tips to Start with IT Security for your Business
· Assess Risk: The level of sensitivity depends on the type of data you own and manage. So, the first step must be, identifying and categorise data according to importance and likely to be at risk.
· Make a Cyber security policy: Now develop a formal policy for your cyber security that will help establish a secure environment. In this policy, include vulnerability reduction, security events, rules for handling customer information and penalties for policy violation.
· Install Antivirus Software: Install the best anti-virus software on every computer system and update them regularly. Make sure to enable automatic scanning on a regular basis.
· Safeguard of Wireless Systems: Boycott obsolete technology and consider choosing advanced techniques like, Wi-Fi protected access and Advanced Encryption methods to assure your data safety, as it transmits from computers to wireless access points.
· Data Encryption: Encryption is another way to ensure data security when transmitting over the web. In this method, sensitive information is coded by the sender and receiver uses a key to unlock the information, thus making it difficult to be used by hackers or thieves.
· Back Up your Data: Data can be lost by employee’s errors, system crash, viruses or malware and the best way to protect it is using a strong back up policy on an external hard disk or cloud based service. Depending on the nature of your business, you can take backup on a daily, weekly or monthly basis.
· Secure Database: Business databases are more vulnerable to security threats. Make sure that you keep only useful and sensitive information on the database and remove all unnecessary data from it.
The final point is that never ignore the importance of computer security. If you find it time consuming or hassling, it is recommended to hire a managed IT security service in Brisbane who can handle all your data security concerns on your behalf.