How to Optimize your Drupal Website for Speed and Performance
Just building up a site is not enough. Along with its look and feel, it must run efficiently. A Website is made up of many components and all these must work harmoniously to give a holistic business solution. A lot of websites in the world are made from Drupal. It is estimated that about 2% of the total websites are running on Drupal. A lot of web development companies are relying more and more on Drupal to create dynamic and captivating sites and provide business solutions. There are several such Web Development Companies in Jaipur like Dice Infocom which provides Excellent Drupal Web Development. While Drupal provides a lot of features to ensure the creation of pleasing and well crafted websites, it is also important to note that the website must load and run quickly. Speed has to be kept in mind while developing a site. These are some of the points to consider while revamping speed.
· Drupal keeps releasing both major and minor releases or up gradations of its Software. You have to keep in mind that you are running the very latest version to ensure that it works speedily.
· Using Content Delivery Network, you can shorten the load time for the page. Content Delivery Network keeps cached copy of the Data which can be loaded whenever the request is made instead of loading it from the source every time. Therefore implementing CDN with Drupal goes a long way in reducing the load time for the website.
· Turning on the Caching capacity in Drupal would significantly increase the speed. It is perhaps the easiest method to build up speed. By default this is off.
· Using Alternative PHP code with Drupal also decreases load time. APC or Alternative PHP Code provides caching facility for both opcode and user code.
· Browser Caching. There are a few things that can be done at Browser level like Gzip compression. Gzip functions by zipping web pages and style sheets at server level.
· Images take up the most space and form a lion’s share of a website’s weight age. About 56% of a website’s mass is made up of images. Thus optimizations of images go a long way in ensuring a quick download of pages. This has a direct affect on Drupal performance.
· Not every module is needed; therefore it makes sense to keep only those modules activated which are actually required. The rest can be disabled to improve the performance. No more than 50 modules should be on activation mode at a time. Some of the modules that can be disabled are module filter, blog, shortcut, administrative development tools etc.
· A reverse proxy is an additional layer between the user and network and increases the speed of the download for pages. Reverse proxy serves cached pages of your webpage and therefore accelerates the page download. It is also sometimes called “HTTP accelerator”.
· Choosing fast and reliable web host is a very important decision impacting the performance of your site. If you choose a rather inexpensive web hosting services, you would be sharing resources with hundreds of other people and this will slow down the speed of your download. Therefore it is imperative that reliable Web Host services like Digital, Ocean, and Linode etc.
These are some of the pointers which can help optimize your Drupal website. Any Web Development Company in Jaipur can also use these pointers for optimum performance.