What to do in the event of an accident?
When an accident occurs, it is necessary to have the right reflexes and to take the right steps, whether in the event of an accident:
1. With material damage
2. With bodily injury
What to do in the event of an accident with property damage?
When one or more vehicles are damaged as a result of an accident, it is necessary to:
1. Secure the area
2. Establish an accident report
3. Declare the accident to the insurance
Secure the area
First of all, it is necessary to think about securing the area in which the accident took place. In order to prevent the damage from being aggravated, but also to warn other users of the danger. For that it is necessary:
· Turn on the car lights (turn signals or hazard lights)
· Donning the road safety vest and placing the warning triangle
· Move vehicles that obstruct traffic if possible
· Place in a secure area
· In order to move vehicles, it may be necessary to call a tow truck
Establish an accident report
The accident report allows the insurance to know the circumstances of the accident, but also to determine the responsibilities of each
· The accident report must therefore be repeated
· The circumstances of the accident
· The date, place and time
· A sketch with the position of the vehicles
· The contact information of the persons involved and the witnesses
The license plate of the other vehicles as well as the insurance company
Since 1 December 2014, it is possible to use the e-report. This service makes it easier to take action in the event of an accident. In addition to providing the same information as the amicable paper record, it allows:
· Take photos
· Geolocalize the location of the accident
· Assistance in the realization of the sketch
· Once it is completed and signed, the e-report is sent directly to the insurer
If witnesses witnessed the accident, take note of their names and telephone numbers so that they could ask them to testify if they were needed.
Report the accident to the insurance
Each driver involved in an accident must make a declaration to his insurance within 5 days of the accident.
This declaration can be made by registered letter with acknowledgment of receipt or directly from the office of the insurance company.
What to do in the event of an accident with bodily injury?
In the event of an accident with bodily injury, that is to say with injured or killed victims, in addition to the procedures in case of accident with material damage it is advisable to:
To call the gendarmerie and the rescue services in order to help the victims as quickly as possible;
To move nothing so as not to risk aggravating the condition of the victims and to allow the authorities to determine the responsibility of each one.
Looking for personal injury solicitors? If you have been in a road traffic accident, whether or not it was your fault, you can contact expert solicitors. Here at ST O Sullivans Solicitors, we specialize in this type of claim and will be happy to discuss your case with you.