5 Simple Steps to Defining Your Professional Brand
Everybody says you have to “build a brand” to succeed. But how do you distinguish yourself when everyone else has the same goals?
But… What to Say?
Want to describe what you “do” without giving the same old boring answer? At an event (“networking” or otherwise) — you need a way to introduce yourself, succinctly and memorably. In print, you need to make an impression — the right impression that will attract the right opportunities for you.
You need to define your brand.
Your brand authentically reflects who you are — your value proposition. What makes you “you.” By defining your brand, you’ll be able to:
- Translate your brand into talking points so that you’re as prepared and confident when talking about yourself as you are when talking about the technical aspects of your work
- Generate confidence and a powerful mindset as needed
- Answer “what’s new?” with a response that will engage rather than bore (and never squander an opportunity with the seemingly-innocuous “I’m busy”)
By defining your personal brand, you’ll also answer these questions for others:
- Can I count on you to get the job done?
- Are you the best person for a particular opportunity?
- Are you worth investing in?
- Do I want to work with you?
- Should I hire you?
Ready to get started? Here’s a simple 5-step process to creating a messaging pyramid that’s sure to solidify your value proposition.
Five Steps To Define Your Professional Brand
Step 1: Establish A Powerful Mindset
Identify your strengths, which begins the messaging pyramid. This also creates the mindset necessary for successful branding.
Step 2: Identify Your “Why”
Begin the creation of the brand description by homing in on what drives you to do the work that you do. Hint: it’s not the paycheck. It’s what fulfills you about your work.
Step 3: Choose Your Vocabulary Carefully
Have some fun with your favorite products so that you can identify your key words and phrases as well as uncover other aspects of your messaging pyramid.
Step 4: Define Your Mission
Home in on why, how, what you do, and for whom.
Step 5: Build Your Brand Description
Pull it all together and voila! You’ve created your messaging pyramid, have your talking points, can update your resume, and are attracting the best opportunities for you!
Use this pyramid to help you lay out your messaging!
Need more details? Examples? Tips and tricks?
Download my workbook 5 Steps to Create Your Professional Brand, available when you follow this link.
Or join Arudia in person for our Creating Your Personal Brand Workshop, September 21 in the DC area.