5 Steps to Position You for Your Next BIG Opportunity
Even if it’s been a few years since you purchased a new backpack and matching lunch box, there’s nothing like the crisp, fall weather (or a little preview of it) to tell you that this year is going to be a big year. Your big year. Whether it’s a promotion, new job, or other exciting opportunities, you want to be ready to successfully grab that brass ring — your brass ring — so that this fall is, in fact, the start of something great for you. But are you ready to make the right impression, or will your nerves derail your success?
Learn to Live on the Edge of the Precipice
Ask yourself, “How do I stretch myself without succumbing to stress and anxiety?” The answer? Learn to live on the edge of the precipice so that nervousness is just another part of the experience, but does not derail your success. Living on the edge of the precipice means that you continually put yourself in situations which challenge you, make you nervous, and cause you to “develop muscle” in this area. While this may not sound like a whole lot of fun right now, that’s the point. Get so used to it that it becomes “muscle memory,” and you can focus on the fun and excitement of the new experience.
5 Easy Ways To Step Into Your Power
- Take on leadership roles: Chair a committee, take on a special project, organize an event. You’ll have to engage team members, run meetings, and keep the team organized. You may have to join a professional association, alumni group, or volunteer organization, all of which move you out of your comfort zone and into your power.
- Seek out public speaking opportunities: Most people get nervous speaking in front of groups, and the only way to acclimate yourself to that feeling is to practice.
- Take on one “stretch” project at work: This has the added benefit of raising your workplace profile and reinforces your reputation as a “doer.”
- Start your own community-based project: Projects such as collecting toys for kids or toiletries for the homeless. As you engage with different members of the community, you will put yourself in new situations and learn to think on your feet.
- Get published: Are you dying to see your name in print? Start sharing your ideas, perspective, and insights in writing. You may have to start small, like blogging (or here on Medium!), but through that, you can begin reach out to editors of relevant publications.
If you want to read more about getting ahead and getting a fresh start this “new” year, download my workbook 5 Steps to Create Your Professional Brand, available at the bottom of the page when you follow this link.
Or join Arudia in person for our Creating Your Personal Brand Workshop, September 21.