Distractions are good at work
This is not about the fulltime chatter boxes
At work, than always switching my windows to code and test and browse, I find it better and lively to spend sometime in interactions over the table, connect with the other project update, talk about the new gadget / fb post / YC news etc.
By doing and having these smaller distractions, it:
- Establishes saner thoughts,
- Enough break means good time to see the whole picture,
- Interactions with others are good way to refine,
- Discussions start at the table and ends in the quality of your work,
- We do more and we do them with better quality than earlier.
Lets talk about some better ways to get distracted rather than social media, news, stock.
- Networking is an important aspect for any developer. You don’t get this apart from doing a conscious effort initially,
- Talk to people around you,
- Take a 10 mins walk around the office for no reason,
- Play Table-Tennis, Foosball kind of games that involves people apart from you.
Restrict all these distractions to a limit, to a max of 15 mins.
Try practising pomodoro techniques, sometimes use that to check the tweets, read some blogs.
Use Pocket to save it for the next break. I use some notes app like Evernote to save the links, there are many times lesser tabs in my browser.
Distract yourself for a saner reason.