FAQs on I-20 Form

Can I find out the status of my I-20 form issuance?
Yes, you will receive regular updates on the status of your I-20. Once the admission is done, the university will ask for the required documents in order to issue your I-20 form. Once the form is issued you will be notified about it.

Is there a deadline for submitting the Financial Certification Form?
No there is no deadline for submitting the Financial Certificate Form, but no I-20 form will be issued unless the Financial Certificate Form is received.

If there is a problem with the Financial Certification documents submitted will the university contact me?
Yes, in case the documents submitted are incomplete the university will notify you through email.

Do I have to submit financial documents in U.S. dollars?
No, your financial documents need not be submitted in US dollars. It is perfectly acceptable to submit documents in foreign currency such as NZD, Rupees, or Euro. However, it is always good to submit documents that contain the US Dollar equivalency.

Do I need my original financial documents to apply for the student visa or can I submit copies of my documents to the university and keep the originals?
Yes, you can retain the originals to apply for visa. All documents should be scanned, preferably as PDF files and sent. Do not send a separate PDF file for each document you are submitting. The name of the student should appear somewhere in the title of the PDF file.

Can I be issued an I-20 based on financial support for one year of study?
No, all students must show that they have sufficient funds to support all years of study needed to complete a degree, i.e. two years for Masters or Associates degrees, five years for a Bachelor’s degree or six years for a Doctorate degree. For example, a doctoral student who states that he or she will use $10,000 of personal funds for support would have to have $10,000 x 6 ($60,000) in order to be issued an I-20 form. Personal funds can’t be earned, the student either has the funds or doesn’t.

I want to bring my spouse and children to the U.S. with me. What do I need to do?
In case you wish to bring your family, you need to show an additional $4,000 per year for a spouse and $2,000 for each child. This is in addition to what you need to show to meet your own living and educational expenses.

Must the Affidavit of Sponsorship be notarized?
Yes, any Affidavit of Sponsorship made by a sponsor must have a notary seal affixed to the sponsors signature or the form will not be accepted. A notary seal is an official stamp certifying that the person signing the form is the sponsor. A notary seal can be obtained in any country, although the formal name may not be a notary. Lawyers, bankers, police officers and other government officials have the authority to make such certifications.

Can I have a friend pick-up my I-20 and mail it to me?
Yes, you can, but you need to inform the university who is going to collect it and how to contact the person. That person must bring a hard copy of an email or other document authorizing them to take your documents from the university office.

MSMBAinUSA.com is an informative website which provide tools like profile evaluation, USA university college — course search etc. Aspiring students for higher studies into USA can download study material for GRE, GMAT, TOEFL, etc. Students can participate in contests and can win exciting prizes.

One clap, two clap, three clap, forty?

By clapping more or less, you can signal to us which stories really stand out.