- Tell us who you are in one sentence.
I am an adventurous spirit; a former calculated-risk taker, actively learning to jump.
2. If you weren’t a designer, what would you do?
I would either build houses, or work in A&R (these days, that might mean being a music blogger). I have an ear for what good music will be successful.
3. What is something you wished you designed, either because you love it, or because you feel you could have done it better?
The SONOS app interface. Because I love the product, but hate the app. It’s convoluted and clunky, yet I use it every day. It could be so much better.
4. What was your biggest design mistake?
There are no mistakes, only hard-earned lessons.
One such lesson: if you’re designing something to provoke strong feelings, be aware that at times it can, and likely will, backfire and elicit the opposite emotion of what you had intended.
5. What advice would you give someone entering the design field?
Never stop searching your soul for what you’re best at, and how you want to (Rilke would say “need to”) apply that talent. And be fearless, nothing is beyond your reach.