A short guide for Brown students interested in taking classes at RISD.
Welcome! Taking a RISD class is one of the few things you absolutely have to do while on College Hill. RISD is a different and awesome community of students, with a great curriculum to learn from. I’ve taken a couple of classes so far, and absolutely loved it.
First, only sophomores and above can take RISD courses, but the administration usually makes exceptions. Talk to your advisor or a dean to learn more.
Second, know that VISA0100 is officially a pre-requisite, but students I know have been able to register for classes without taking it.
Now, here’s what you do:
- Find a class you like. Search online for the “RISD Catalog” and pick the latest one. Look through and pick courses that seem interesting.
- Make note of the course code, and head over to Web Advisor. Click on Guests and Prospective Students, and then Search for Sections.
- Select the term, and type in your course title or code. This will give you a list of results matching the different sections. Find a time that works for you.
- Email the professor early. Like, 2–3 months before the class. Ask to be placed on the waitlist.
- A day or two before class, go to the Brown Registrar (3rd Floor, JWW) and pick up the cross-registration form. Fill out the course details and select your grade option (Letter Grade or S/NC.) If you need special approval due to academic warning, talk to a dean.
- Next, on the first day of class, ask your professor to sign the form for you. Then head over to the RISD Registrar (1st Floor, 20 Washington Place) for the final step in the process. Fill out a couple of forms, and you should be all set.
- At this point, you are officially registered for the class. If the course has a materials cost, you pay at the RISD registrar. If you don’t have a RISD ID, the registrar will direct you to the RISD card office.
- That’s it! The course should show up with a “RISD0000” course code in your Banner in one or two days.
Want recommendations on classes to take, or looking to meet other students interested in design at Brown? Join the Facebook group.