New Technology Has Transformed Background Screening
Hiring the right talent could be a tough task in the massive employment market. This is when employee background screening can simplify decision making for the HR professionals. With increasing commercial and business opportunities, there has been a growing need to hire in large numbers, keeping the costs at bare minimum and efficiency at peak.
With extensive hiring taking place, came unhealthy encounters like employee fraud, data and intellectual property theft, dubious business partners of unknown provenance etc. To beat the stiff competition, people resort to undesirable practices that are criminal in nature including workplace misconduct, violence and what not. Hence, the dampening effect of bad hiring is quite alarming. To ensure one bad apple does not spoil the remaining apples, use of background screening increased both locally and globally.
Why was the need for background screening felt?
- Increased and negligent hiring
- Adherence to legal and regulatory framework
- Compliance with hiring policies
- Legal exposure due to wrong hiring
- Costs of training
According to Mr. Ajay Trehan, Founder and CEO, AuthBridge Research Services, “Today, more than 90% of the Fortune 500 companies have a formal policy of screening the backgrounds of their employees as well as the outsourced staff’’. Reference checks always existed within the HR wings, but background screening gained importance a few years back. The changing market needed awareness of comprehensive background verification with improvement in technology, people, processes, and tools.
Technology changed leaps and bounds, presenting new opportunities for background screening. And this is why background screening industry is getting revamped with fully integrated systems, reducing pressure on human resources to bring efficiency into operations.
Conventional background screening works perfectly for traditional businesses, but does not work the same way for modern, technology driven companies. It is quite complex, incompatible to the global expansion scene. With newer markets being created, need had arisen for a paperless office, with high standards of privacy.
What were the key challenges of conventional background screening?
- Paper driven- Conventional background screening wrestle with the daunting task of managing paper based, manual processes.
- Duplicity of efforts- Efforts in the businesses lead to redundancy with conventional background screening.
- Dependency of manpower quality- Conventional screening is labor intensive, putting pressure on people for accuracy and availability. Reporting and checking data is also taken up loosely, when done manually.
- Time consuming- Conventional background screening takes a big chunk of time to complete and produce results.
- Complexity- The arduous and complex processes of conventional background screening is ineffective ad slow.
Disruption broke out with penetration into newer business segments, from unicorn start ups to herculean on-demand companies and the new face of background screening was unmasked. Instaneity in screening become the ‘new high’ with on time, technology based solutions. Disruptive innovation has opened newer markets and value networks. It has become imperative to find out whether the workforce working towards achieving their objectives is genuine and diligent.
In this technology intensive environment, conventional background screening tools and techniques were not successful. Being more agile, quick moving and adapting in this environment was the way forward to success .The environment and the new industry players needed to mutually benefit each other to move in a headway. A need has arisen to run systems on auto-pilot by scaling up processes to ensure faster background screening. Background screening industry is trying to keep up and work successfully in the changing scenario.
Let us take a look at what is distinct about automated background processes:
- Implementation of OCR (Optical character recognition) — Much faster than someone manually entering large amounts of text to find a candidate’s records online and verify details.
- Complex algorithms to process data and give relevant automated outputs
The results will depend of nature of data and what can be concluded by the use of algorithms and technology.
Both, small and large organizations know the value of good employees equally. They are growing with an intent to bring on-board competent professionals with diverse backgrounds and experiences. Employees are hired to outperform in their offered position, exceeding expectations and requirements of the job. Many candidates work abroad and come back to find a high value job. Therefore, screening such employees mean complying with complex global laws and regulations. With that thought in mind, to simplify recruitment, AuthBridgeOnline was conceived. It is an easy and transparent platform for on-boarding candidates, with its web-based, user friendly interface. Our platform brings greater efficiency and increased compliance to global hiring.
It is high time to constantly upgrade to effectively screen candidates with global education and work experience.