Do you want a Job?
I like to believe that I straddle two generations — those born with, and those without computers. So maybe I understand what it is to be serious like my dad, or chilled out like my 25 year old brother. This is for those born after 1990, who could use some ‘serious’ schooling.
If you really want a job, don’t stroll in for an interview 30 minutes late wearing slippers, shirt untucked with a stoned smile. You’re just embarrassing yourself.
Two experiences come to my mind. First, a close friend graduated from college in the states and was looking for a job in wild life conservation. His college trained him to always arrive for an interview in a suit. He reached a national park in a suit & tie to interview for a job to be out in the wild all summer. They almost didn’t give him the job because of the way he looked.
Next, when I was looking for a job in advertising, I went for a seminar and heard a director talk to 500 of us. He put up this picture of a beautiful old sports car that he had to sell to buy a suit, so he could interview. I went out and got a suit right after.
We work in Advertising and Design, which are creative fields, and it requires us to be open to the world, young at heart and expressive. It’s making something that didn't exist, and having that thing, move, motivate, scare, excite or inspire millions of different human beings. It’s very hard to do, and it takes someone with that special kind of magic to make it happen everyday.
This is what I look for in someone. You could either have these qualities and give us a glimpse of the same — or you could try to develop some of these.
- I look to see if you really want to work in this industry, and why you really want to work with us.
- I don’t expect you to have too much experience from college, but I expect you to have developed a thirst for knowledge and an interest in this field.
- I want to know if you will put your heart and emotion into your work and go beyond your comfort zone to make magical things happen.
- I want to know if you will be open to learning from the team, if you will be open to being inspired and if you will put yourself out there to bring something to the table everyday.
- And most of all, I want to know if there is a pattern that you don’t follow, but rather do it your way — that is pure magic for me.
A lot of us work very hard everyday to make something special, and we want others who add to that fire and motivate us to do more. If you really want to be that person, I hope you now have a better idea on how.