8 Brain Games to Naturally Enhance Your Memory
Keeping your mind active is the single best way to naturally enhance your memory and keep your brain healthy. Just ten minutes a day is enough to see improvement. It could be as simple as mental math or as time-consuming as spending an hour on the New York Times crossword. The important point is to just keep the wheels turning! With that in mind, here are 8 so-called “brain games” you can use to do just that.
1. Crossword Puzzles — Timeless and tested, these are a great way to keep your mind busy. Keep one on the table to work on during your morning coffee, or use one of the many free apps available for your phone.
2. Sudoku Puzzles — These number puzzles from Japan have taken off in North America and are proven to enhance memory and reduce risk of Alzheimer’s when done regularly.
3. Word Searches — Another classic puzzle usually reserved for kids, modern neuroscience has found these work just as well for adults to keep their minds busy.
4. Lumosity — This is probably the most well-known brain-training app. With plenty of puzzles and games specifically geared towards memory, it’s a great option for natural memory improvement. And it’s free!
5. Peak — Another brain-training app, this one includes games to improve linguistic ability, attention, and mental speed in addition to memory.
6. Solitaire — Even this old card game has enough complexity to it that it will keep your mind and memory active long into your life. There are plenty of free apps for this if you don’t have a deck of cards handy.
7. QuizUp — This massive trivia game allows you to compete against people from all over the world in a number of memory-enhancing challenges. Most games are based around trivia, so you can bet your powers of recollection will be put to the test!
8. Mahjong — An ancient Chinese game somewhat reminiscent of dominoes, Mahjong is one of the many brain games you can use to keep your mind active and able as part of your daily routine.
There are many other brain games out there for you to play, but this list gives you the most popular ones. It’s amazing that such simple and even fun games can actually naturally enhance your memory, but it’s true! So get out there and start playing — it’s never too late!