Procedure of saving your child’s stem cells
When babies are born, they come into this world with a superpower. This superpower protects them from various medical conditions and provides a lifetime of good health. Your little one’s power lies in the stem cells present in the umbilical cord blood, which connect the mother and the baby. Let us understand the procedure of saving your child’s stem cells.
Cord blood stem cells have the ability and strength to recover, regenerate and renew is the base for all researches around the stem cell therapy. This unique characteristic of stem cells is very beneficial and the research and findings in this field are proving to be a revolution in medicine.
Stem cells are a saviour for the long-term health of your child. Let us list down the procedure for preserving your child’s stem cells:
First let us begin with what are stem cells?
Stem cells are the basic building blocks of the body. Stem cells have the potential to develop into many different cell types in the body during early life and growth. In addition, stem cells serve as an internal repair system and divide without limit to replace other cells, till the person is alive.
When a stem cell divides, each new cell has the ability to remain as the same cell or become another type of cell with a more specialized function such as a muscle cell, brain cell or a red blood cell.
What are the functions of stem cells?
There is a deep research being carried on, regarding stem cell therapy to treat several diseases. Besides, stem cells do have the ability to cure 80 diseases and more.
Research says stem cells will have the potential to cure:
- Heart diseases
- Brain disease
- Cell deficiency therapy
- Blood disease
Stem cell banking involves collecting blood left in the umbilical cord and placenta. Cord blood contains lifesaving cells called stem cells. Hence, stem cell banking in India is extremely essential. For the health of your child throughout life, securing your child’s stem cells are the best decision you will ever make.
Procedure to save your child’s stem cells:
Stem cell banking in India can be done in 6 simple steps. Here are the 6 steps:
- Be aware: Before choosing your stem cell bank, be aware. Do your research regarding every minute detail of stem cells and the facilities provided by the bank.
- Enrolment: After choosing the right stem cell bank, sign up for cord blood banking well before your delivery date. Following the enrolment, you will receive a collection kit which has to be carried to the hospital, at the time of delivery. This kit contains all the tools and instruments required for the stem cell preservation in India.
- Collection: It is a simple and very safe procedure that causes no harm to the mother or the baby. Umbilical cord blood collection does not interfere with the delivery of the child. The collection is done only once the safe delivery of the child is complete.
The cord blood specimens collected from the umbilical cord include:
· A small amount of the mother’s peripheral blood
· Blood inside the umbilical cord
· Small pieces of umbilical cord tissue.
These cord blood specimens are collected by the paramedic and stored in the collection kit which are sealed properly and sent to the lab for processing.
4. Transportation: The collected cord blood specimens must reach the laboratory within 48 hours. This must be usually transported through special logistics provider ensuring fast delivery. It must not be exposed to x-ray screens at all.
5. Testing and processing: Once the cord blood specimens reach the laboratory, they are tested for contaminations or infectious diseases. The tests are also performed to check the cell count, viability and sterility of stem cells.
6. Cryopreservation: After the necessary processing and quality analysis, the stem cell cord blood specimens are mixed with cryogenic solution and frozen slowly for preservation.
These are the 6 simple and fool proof steps to secure your child’s stem cells. Take note of them and make sure your stem cell bank completes them all.
Stem cells are a boon to the human health. Every mother must opt for stem cell preservation in India, to gift her child the best of health security and well-being. Stem cell therapy is the growing development in the field of science today. The research on stem cell therapy shows great potential for cure of ailments and diseases. Don’t ignore this development and secure your child’s stem cells, for a lifetime of good health.