Eggless Red Velvet Layer Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
With Valentine’s Day just round the corner how about baking an Eggless Red Velvet Layer Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting! Keep your cake mould and baking tray ready and get down to the basics.
Listed below are the ingredients and preparation procedure.
Preparation Time: ¼ hour
Baking Time: ½ hour
- All-purpose flour — 2½cups
- Cocoa powder- 1 tbsp.
- Sugar — 1½cups
- Baking soda — 1 tsp
- Salt — 1 tsp
- Milk- 2 cups
- Oil/Melted butter — 2/3 cups
- Distilled white vinegar- 1 tbsp.
- Edible red colour- 1½ tsp
- Vanilla extract 1 tsp
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cream cheese — 1 ¼ cups
- Vanilla essence- 1 tsp
- Butter -8 tbsp.
- Sugar — 1½ cups (to be powdered after measuring)
Procedure for Cake
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, salt and baking soda thoroughly.
- In another bowl mix well all the wet ingredients such as melted butter/oil, milk, edible red colour and distilled white vinegar.
- Put the oven to pre-heat at 350 F.
- Mix together the ingredients of both the bowls such that they are combined thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture into a greased silicone cake mould.
- Eliminate bubbles if any by tapping the greased baking pan gently and then smoothen the top.
- Put the mixture to bake for half an hour.
- Check if done after the required half an hour with the help of a toothpick.
- If crumbs are attached to the toothpick which is pulled out from the centre then the cake has to be baked for another 5 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven after it is done and let it cool till it comes to room temperature.
Procedure for Icing
- Use butter at room temperature and whisk it with the vanilla extract and cream cheese in a mixing bowl. Beat it nicely till it is soft. Add the powdered sugar slowly beating all the while till it is smooth and nice.
- After the cake is cooled, give it a heart shape and cut it into two layers.
- Apply icing on to the top of the first layer after you have evened it out.
- Place the second layer on it and cover it again with the frosting.
- Cover the sides with the remaining frosting.
- Use the cake crumbs obtained while flattening the top of the cake layers to decorate the edges and the sides of the cake.
- Your cake is now ready to be sliced and served.
- While using the wet ingredients ensure that they are at room temperature. See to it that the milk is not cold as that will solidify the melted butter and prevent the ingredients from getting mixed properly.
- Ensure that the cream cheese and butter are also at room temperature so that the icing turns out to be smooth and soft.
- If you prefer your cake to be slightly less sweet then you can decrease the quantity of the sugar to suit your taste.
- Buy baking accessories from a reputed baking equipment manufacturer.