Capresso Coffee Maker Usability Test
By Khairul Islam
1. What did you do?
In the studio this week, we formed a group of 4 based on the time that everyone is agreed to meet. As a group, we came up with tasks for users to do with our assigned device, the coffee maker (Capresso). We used the 3x3x3 method: 3 tasks, 3 users, and 3 data types to create our usability test. We asked three users with different genders, ages, and levels of experience because so that we can collect data from three different perspectives. We asked each user to add filter & coffee, then add water, and then make & pour coffee. The reasons we asked the users to do these specified tasks was to measure effectiveness, efficiency, and satisfaction. During the usability test, we noticed that the users were often confused by the multiple buttons below the coffee pourer, the top of the coffee maker was hard to open, and the top of the pourer easily fell off when tilted.
2. Reflect on your experience.
I never valued the good design and user researchers until having this experience. During the usability test, I remembered that my questions was too direct and were unclear. Also, one point I kind of helped a user, and I shouldn’t have done that. The questions this usability test raised was how can I target the answers I want without being too direct? And how can I make the users feel more comfortable and not feeling dumb? Next time I conduct a usability test, I would make sure to have a better lighting to help the users to see the object better and help to make better video documentation. In addition to that, I will Make sure that the coffee maker is unplugged before each trial, and the filter has been removed from the previous trial.
3. What did you like about this project, and why?
I enjoyed being a moderator for this usability test because It’s interesting to see how each user interacted differently with the coffee maker. I also enjoyed collecting data from the users when they completed the task because the data was unexpected. It was also fun to compare and contrast between all the user’s data because the result was unpredictable. Also, creating tasks for the users was fun because you get to decide which part of an object you want the users to perform the usability. Overall, I liked everything about this project, especially when we went one of our team member’s house and sat for an hour just to find users. We all were calling whoever we can think of and asking to be our user. It was extremely amusing.