With no prior experience of cooking or baking stuff this assignment helped me in bringing out my hidden interest for cooking. But the challenge while doing this assignment lies in innovating some novel ideas for the cookies. I started this work by looking at some basic cookie baking videos. How a cookie batter is made? What are the basic ingredients for cookies? What’s the ideal temperature for baking? These were some questions that I first need to figure out before proceeding anything. Once I had some basic knowledge of baking and cookie making I started to work on some new and innovative cookies.
The approach that I followed while working on this assignment was a basic trial and error method approach. I wanted to create something that’s new to taste buds of people so started eliminating usual ingredients used in cookies. With many trial and errors came up with some idea of making healthy yet tasty cookies so my final recipe for cookies was blend of fruits with tutti fruti and a small amount of Simrnoff Pineapple vodka.
- 1.5 cups of fine wheat flour
- 0.5 Cups of Corn flour
- 0.5 cups of Mango Custard powder
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 100 grams of butter
- 1 egg
- Blend of apple, mango & Bananas
- Pinch of salt
- Baking Powder
- 2 Tbls of Milk powder
- Smirnoff Pineapple vodka
- Tutti Frutti
I started with some Indian style of cookie making bu mixing fine wheat flour, corn flour, semolina in some Clarified Butter (Desi Ghee) along with some other ingredients mentioned above. Initial stage of precooked cookies looked decent enough but final taste and texture of cookies were completely messed up. Looking at their final shapes and tasting them later on made me realize my mistakes that I made while adding ingredients. The amount of clarified butter was bit high which made them very soft and sticky so I decided to replace ghee with normal butter. Moreover the semolina was left unbaked which gave completely different taste. So I decided to remove it in my second iteration. Another problem with this iteration was the amount of fruit blend and vodka which made it worse.
With a bad experience of first iteration I aimed to create something that’s new to taste buds so I decided to make something that’s sweet and spicy at the same time. With most of the ingredients mentioned above, I looked at the chances of adding few spices so that it should taste good. Based upon my taste interests I chose to add few carom seeds in the cookie batter. This time I used normal butter instead of ghee so that cookies should remain bit crispy and hard. I also removed semolina and corn flour from the paste and went ahead with just basic ingredients like flour, sugar, fruit blend, milk powder, salt and carom seeds and pineapple vodka. I added a small amount of chocolate powder this time just to try something new. Final results of this iterations were better than the first one as cookies were bit crispy and intact but their taste remained a crucial factor of elimination.
In the third iteration I made sure that crispiness that i attained in second iteration should remain intact but at the same time I should improvise a lot in terms of taste. And this was the time when i thought to try just plain fruit cookies. Bought a mango flavored custard powder along with tutti frutti and blend of bananas, apples and orange. All the ingredients were mixed and added one egg to the cookie paste this time so as to make them soft and crispy at the same time. The final result of this iteration was way better in terms of taste. Based upon novelty and taste I decided to finalize my recipe for these cookies. Detailed procedure to make these fruit cookies is given below:
- Take 1.5 cups of fine wheat flour, 0.5 cup of corn flour, 0.5 cup custard powder and 1 cup powdered sugar in a bowl
- Take 125 gm of butter in a bowl and mix the above ingredients with it.
- Stir them up till they turn up into a paste
- Add 2 tbls of milk powder into it.
- Add a pinch of salt to this paste.
- Add tutti frutti and fruit blend in the same paste.
- Mix all of them and add a small amount of baking powder into it.
- To make this paste into a dough add a small amount of pineapple vodka to it and continue to mix till it become hard dough.
- Make different shape cookies from this dough.
- Place these unbaked cookies in a plate and cover them with polythene.
- keep them in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven at 350 F
- Take out the cookies from fridge and place them back in an oven plate and bake them for 25 mins at 350 F
- Cool them at room temperature.