Reception Desks Buying Guide: Styles & Configurations
Reception desks come in various styles from modern and traditional, to casual designed and industrial inspired.
- Contemporary style is characterized by simple design with using of modern materials such as metal, plastic, glass. They are often embellished with chrome or metal details and have extra elements like LED lighting.
- Traditional style features solid wood constructions, sometimes accentuated with moldings and other decorative details.
Wood veneer and laminate (both high pressure and thermally fused types) are the most common materials in reception counters manufacture.
- Wood veneers are stained to the desired color, ensuring hard and durable surface finish. This material as well as solid wood is associated with a quality and executive design.
- Laminate surface is lower in cost; it offers more durability but lack of impressive look.
The counter top of a reception station is the surface that guests most often see. Being used as part of business process, the counter top is offered in a variety of materials.
- Wood veneer or laminate counter tops provide an elegant look and durable surface.
- Marble or stone make the top elegant and imposing. It works well with wood veneer designs, while offering high durability.
- Glass counter tops offer durability, providing a classy touch and airy look.
Reception desk may have various configurations, but the most common are L & U shaped, curved and linear. L & U shaped administrative desks may become the compositional center of the interior. Small reception desks can arrange the workplace for secretaries and other staff greeting the visitors.
It is important that reception desks fit into the overall composition of space and help you and clients. Reception counters are not just office furniture. On the contrary, they help the visitor to immediately draw attention to the atmosphere and the space arrangement.
For right choice of the reception desk you should remember several rules:
Design & appearance. The administrative desk must have an imposing look and stand out in the room. The main thing is not to overdo it with the size and material — the imposing reception station made of expensive wood in a small branch of the bank or in a small hotel will look ridiculous.
Dimensions. For large and spacious rooms choose a massive and impressive reception station. Compact reception counter is perfect for a small office or drawing room, it doesn’t occupy much space.
Functionality. Choose the reception desk in accordance with the duties and scope of work of employees — in order to have enough space and to conveniently store documents.
As you see, reception desks are supremely important to any organization. They should be practical and provide a suitable workstation for the administrator. Being the first point of contact, they form a first impression of the company, and psychologists are sure that the first impression is difficult to change!