Stop Snoozing: A Behavior Designer’s Approach
You put the phone further away. You change the alarm sound. You tell yourself that you are not going to snooze tomorrow morning.
The next morning?
Ha — yeah me, too.
OK then. Let’s explore something you can do before going to sleep tonight that will help you overcome this.
If you want to overcome your snoozing habits tomorrow morning, then the last thing you should do before going to sleep is the following:
- Set your alarm to go off 1 minute from the current time. Use the same alarm that you’ll use tomorrow morning. Using the same sound is important too.
2. Quickly get into bed and feel like you’re falling asleep. Relax your muscles, just like the real deal.
3. When the alarm goes off, do exactly what you’ll do tomorrow morning (NOT snooze).
I do a GGG method. Alarm goes off, I think of something I’m Grateful for. Then, I Ground my feet + stretch my body. Then, I Go.
4. I FEEL successful and accomplished.
That feeling you get when you say you’re going to do something and you actually do it.
Unlike when we snooze in the morning . . .
5. Rep 1 done. You have only done one side of your body. Repeat steps 1–3 but fall asleep on another side of your body.
Left, right, back is what I do.
That’s it! If you want to geek out about the behavior + brain reasons behind this, subscribe to our mailing list and you’ll get notified when the article is out + more.
Subscribe here → www.behaviordelta.com
This article was written by David Ngo, Founder of Behavior Delta LLC.