43 Thought Provoking Prompts that Changed my Life
Disclaimer: These prompts are not mine. I did not invent them. I have included the source of where I initially heard them. If that is not the original source, I apologize in advance.
If you want more, I expanded on each prompt here.
- Make a map of my failures indicating the rough date they occurred. Write beside each one what I learned.
2. What might I do to accomplish my 5-year goal in 6-months, if a gun was up against my head? (Tim Ferriss)
3. Who was the first person that told me about the career/job I am in? Have I had any similar discussions since?
4. Where in my life can I trade a short-term, incremental gain for a potential longer-term game-changing upside?
5. What is my third most unique strength?
6. What would make what I am doing right now easiest?
7. What do I spend a silly amount of money own? How might I scratch my itch? (Tim Ferriss)
8. What is the worst possible scenario if I take “x” action? What can I do to limit the downside? (Stoicism)
9. What would I do if I had $10 million but still had to work 40 hours a week? (Financial Samurai)
10. Will I choose make this a dead time or an alive time? (Ryan Holiday)
11. How might I build my non-work life around what I do in a way that lets me frame it as a source of greater meaning, joy, connection, and engagement or something that gives me freedom to do other things that provide those feelings? (Jonathan Fields)
12. If I could only work 2 hours per day on income producing activities, what would I focus on? (Tim Ferriss)
13. What is something that doesn’t make sense?
14. What is the least crowded channel into what I want to accomplish? (Noah Kagan)
15. What if the only way to add to my life was to subtract from it? What would be the first 1–2 things that I would remove?
16. Who are my top 7–10 digital mentors I most want to be like?
17. What is something I would miss if I no longer had it?
18. What is one relationship that I have let slip? What is the reason?
19. Do I enjoy what I am going to do today? If not, how long has the question been no? (Steve Jobs)
20. When was the last time I laughed at work?
21. When was the last time I participating in guilt-free play? (Charlie Hoehn)
22. If I had no fear today, what would I do? (Eleanor Roosevelt)
23. Who would be most upset if I quit/moved/tried this?
24. What is your biggest win in the last seven days?
25. If I was making my life into a movie, what scene would I make sure to add and what scene would I make sure to remove? (Donald Miller)
26. What is my most perceived weakness? How can I turn it into a strength? (Arnold Schwarzenegger)
27. If I had to instill one piece of advice in your own child’s mind, what advice would I give?
28. What is one closely held belief I have? When is the last time someone challenged it? (Marc Andreessen)
29. What blogs/books/articles do I read on the normal Saturday morning before any else wakes up? (Ramit Sethi)
30. What is something that I believe that none of my friends do?
31. Why do I want to be rich? What are the specific traits or things you will be able to do? Is there a way to have those now?
32. What are the 20% of things in my life that cause 80% of my anxiety?
33. Who is someone that I have not talked to in awhile that I am grateful for?
34. When I had the opportunity, did I choose courage over comfort?
35. Why am I doing what I am doing? Why? Why? Why? Why?
36. What has become more important to me in the last year and what has become less important?
37. Would my 15-year-old self be proud of who I am today?
38. What dream did I have to give up to get where I am?
39. What’s the best lesson my father ever taught me? (Cal Fussman)
40. What are some of the choices I have made that made me who I am t0day?
41. When did I learn a lesson the hard way?
42. What is something that I lost that I will never get back?
43. When did I last perform a random act of kindness?
Bonus: A quote, not a prompt, that always helps me clarify my thinking:
“[W]henever you find yourself on the side of the majority; it is time to pause and reflect.” — Mark Twain
If you enjoyed these prompts, please click the💚 below so other people will be able to enjoy it as well.
Are you overwhelmed and stressed out? If so, click the image below and get access to the 21 strategies that helped me lower my anxiety by 67%!