The City of Quito, Ecuador needs your help to prepare for the likely eruption of the Cotopaxi Volcano situated 30 miles from Quito.
Cotopaxi is currently spewing ash. The last large-scale eruption was in 1877, and it is believed that another one is now inevitable. If it erupts, some communities will have less than half an hour to evacuate.
The scale of the challenge is overwhelming. Yet there are those out there with good ideas for how to mitigate the risks, especially using technology and innovation, or those of you who know others who have relevant experience, skills, and know how.
We want to ask you to participate in one or more of a series of online coaching sessions to help the city get “smarter” about how to prepare.
Please, Quito needs your help.
The goal of these online sessions is to:
- Better define and understand the nature of the problem.
- Help connect those people with relevant experience and know how to city officials to help Quito better manage the impending disaster
- Identify innovative and practical ways, especially using new technology, to tackle the challenge at hand.
- Result in at least 2–3 implementable ways per topic of doing things differently that could potentially save lives, save resources, and allow for money to be spent on what matters most.
- Each session will run online from 11 am EST for 1.5 hours on a Monday or Thursday (see calendar below)
- Each session will be attended by those city officials with responsibility for that topic, who will share background information about the current state of readiness.
- Each session will be moderated by an expert in the field.
- Each session will be staffed by volunteers who will take notes and follow up the session to develop good ideas into more concrete and actionable proposals backed up by research.
What We Need From You?
Sign up (https://the-govlab.forms.fm/cotopaxi) for the sessions of greatest relevance where you have the most know how to contribute. Topics currently include:
- Coordination of Communication — Thursday, October 1
- Evacuation Planning — Monday, October 5
- Cost Effective Human and Animal Shelters — Thursday, October 8
- Citizen Sensing and Citizen Science — Monday, October 12
- Protection of Vulnerable Populations — Thursday, October 15
- Construction of a Skills-Based Expert Network — Monday, October 19
- Continuity of Communications Systems — Thursday, October 22
- Air and Water Quality and Sanitation — Monday, October 26
- Food Safety and Cold-Chain Supply Management — Thursday, October 29
- Access to Health Services — Monday, November 2
- School Alternatives During a Disaster — Thursday, November 5
- Innovative Financing for Redevelopment — Monday, November 9
We don’t need to “crowdsource widely.” Rather, we need to “crowdsource wisely” by connecting those with relevant expertise, experience and skills to city officials in Quito to help them prepare.
To Sign Up: https://the-govlab.forms.fm/cotopaxi. Please forward.