What Are You Trying to Achieve?

While it’s tempting to purchase an “initiative in a box” — where a program that’s worked at a company in a different industry in a different part of the country with a different workforce is presented to your employees and “engagement” is checked off your to-do list-custom discovery is key.

At most companies, it’s not unusual that the top 10–15 percent of employees are the same reoccurring overachievers day in and day out in their responsibilities while the other 85 percent are somewhere between going through the motions or disengaged completely. Identifying the inherent behaviors and disciplines that lead to the success of those same 10–15 percent will look very different from one company to the next.

Many companies worry more about what prize their employees win than the daily behaviors they want their employees to exhibit in order to achieve that award. Ingraining behaviors, rewarding behaviors, and spotlighting those behaviors until they become habitual to the employee should be part of every workforce engagement initiative.

Site visits and employee interviews are some of the methods engagement consultants use to get the information needed to create a blueprint for a sustainable engagement program. once that work is done, companies can start to think specifically about what incentives/rewards will actually inspire the employees to not only learn but actually adopt the strategy on a daily basis.

Many organizations don’t understand that you don’t have to spend a lot of money on the actual reward itself — and that the prize itself is only part of the experience. The real “it factor” is how and when you recognize the employee. Don’t get so focused on the incentive you’re going to offer that you lose sight of what you’re trying to achieve.

Like what you read? Give Paul Taunton a round of applause.

From a quick cheer to a standing ovation, clap to show how much you enjoyed this story.