BREAKING AND UPDATE: Trump Obama: FBI chief Comey ‘rejects’ phone tap allegation

  • Mar 6, 20 2017 00H:51 GMT/UTC/ZULU TIME
  • From the sectionUS & Canada

Share

Image copyrightREUTERSImage captionThe allegation relates to the presidential race last year

TRUMP TAKES OFFICE

by Melissa Gruz and Biodun Iginla, BBC News, Washington DC

FBI director James Comey has rejected President Donald Trump’s claim on Saturday that his predecessor, Barack Obama, tapped his phone, US media say.

Mr Comey reportedly asked the US justice department to reject the allegation Mr Obama ordered a wiretap during last year’s election campaign.

He is said to have asked for the correction because it falsely insinuates that the FBI broke the law.

The development was reported by the New York Times and confirmed by NBC.

The justice department has yet to issue a statement on the latest reports.

Mr Trump offered no evidence to support his allegation that phones at Trump Tower were tapped last year.

A spokesman for Mr Obama said the allegation was “simply false”.

RELATED TOPICS

SHARE THIS STORY ABOUT SHARING

TRUMP TAKES OFFICE

US & CANADA

Posted by Biodun Iginla at 4:56 PM

Email ThisBlogThis!Share to TwitterShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest

Labels: Barack Obama, bbc news, FBI chief Comey, Melissa Gruz and Biodun Iginla, nbc news, phone tap allegation, The New York Times, US Justice Department, us media

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you read? Give Biodun Iginla a round of applause.

From a quick cheer to a standing ovation, clap to show how much you enjoyed this story.