Bursa: ‘Suicide bomber’ hits western Turkey
Wednesday, April 27, 2016
- 8 minutes ago
by Alara Berrak and Biodun Iginla, BBC News, Istanbul
- From the section Europe

Image copyright AP Image caption The attack took place in an area home to an Ottoman-era mosque and bazaar
A suicide bomber has struck in the western Turkish city of Bursa, injuring 13 people, officials say.
The attack took place near the city’s 14th Century Grand Mosque, a symbol of the city, reports said.
The governor of Bursa said the attacker was a suspected female suicide bomber.
Turkey has been hit by a wave of suicide bombings blamed on both Islamist and Kurdish militants. Earlier reports said one person had been killed in the blast.
However, Reuters news agency later quoted Turkey’s health minister as saying 13 people had been wounded, none seriously.
No-one has yet claimed responsibility for the bombing.
On Tuesday the US warned of “credible indications” of terrorist threats at tourist areas in the country.


Image copyright AFP/Getty Image caption At least seven people were hurt in the blast
Recent attacks in Turkey
- 31 March: attack on a bus stop in mainly Kurdish city of Diyarbakir killed seven
- 19 March: a suicide bomber killed three Israelis and one Iranian in a shopping area in Istanbul
- 13 March: 35 people killed by Kurdish militants in Ankara
- February: 28 killed in military convoy in Ankara
- January: 12 German tourists died in a suspected IS suicide bombing in Istanbul and seven killed in a suicide attack on a police HQ in Diyarbakir
- October 2015: More than 100 people are killed in a double suicide bombing at a Kurdish peace rally in Ankara
- How dangerous is Turkey’s unrest?
Tears and destruction amid PKK crackdown
Turkey in midst of hideous vortex
- Share this story About sharing
- Turkey violence
Posted by Biodun Iginla at 8:12 PM

Email ThisBlogThis!Share to TwitterShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Labels: Alara Berrak and Biodun Iginla, bbc news, Bursa: ‘Suicide bomber’, Turkey