Mali arrests suspected Bamako hotel attacks mastermind
FRIDAY, APRIL 22, 2016
- 22 April 2016
by Rashida Adjani and Biodun Iginla, BBC News, N’Djamena, Chad
- From the section Africa

Image copyright AFPImage caption Fawaz Ould Ahmeida was reportedly detained in a suburb of Bamako
Authorities in Mali say they have arrested a Mauritanian man suspected of masterminding deadly attacks on hotels in the country last year.
Fawaz Ould Ahmeida is accused of planning, among others, the November attack on the Radisson Blu hotel in the capital Bamako that left 20 dead.
Security services said he had been plotting to carry out attacks on Western targets in Bamako this weekend.
They said he was a member of the al-Murabitoun jihadist group.
Al-Murabitoun, an affiliate of al-Qaeda in the Islamic Magreb (AQIM), has said it carried out the Radisson Blu attack.
‘FOUND WITH WEAPONS’
Security officials accuse Mr Ould Ahmeida, alias Ibrahim 10, of being involved in an attack on the Terrace bar and restaurant in Bamako in March 2015, in which five people died.
As well as the Radisson Blu attack, they say he is also believed to have planned the siege of the Byblos hotel in central Mali in August, in which 13 people died.
And he has been linked to an attack last month on the Azalai Nord-Sud hotel in Bamako, where the EU mission is based.
He was detained on Thursday in a Bamako suburb, allegedly with a large number of weapons and explosives in his possession.

Image copyright AFPImage caption Militants stormed the Radisson Blu hotel in November, taking 170 people hostage and killing 20
Malian special forces said in November that they had arrested two suspects in connection with the Radisson Blu attack.
Two armed men held 170 guests and staff hostage at the hotel during the nine-hour siege, killing 20 and wounding 14 before police stormed the building.
In the past month the security forces in Mali have arrested several people suspected of involvement in attacks in Mali and neighbouring Ivory Coast.
However, the BBC’s Alou Diawara in Bamako says the authorities there are still looking for a man named as Kounta Dallah, accused of being behind last month’s attack on the Ivory Coast resort of Grand Bassam, which killed 19 people.
SHARE THIS STORY ABOUT SHARING
- Mali attack: Bamako’s Radisson Blu hotel re-opens
- 15 December 2015
- Video Mali attack: Hostages describe siege at Radisson Blu Hotel
- 20 November 2015
- Mali attack: Special forces storm hotel to free hostages
- 20 November 2015
- Mali hotel siege: Several killed in Sevare, four UN workers saved
- 9 August 2015
- Video Mali attack: A history of militancy
- 20 November 2015
- What has happened to al-Qaeda?
- 6 April 2016
- Profile: Al-Murabitoun
- 16 January 2016
AFRICA
Posted by Biodun Iginla at 9:15 PM

Email ThisBlogThis!Share to TwitterShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Labels: Bamako hotel attacks, bbc news, Fawaz Ould Ahmeida, mali, Mauritanian man, Rashida Adjani and Biodun Iginla