South Sudan clashes ‘leave dozens dead’ in Juba
SATURDAY, JULY 9, 2016
- 2 hours ago
- From the sectionAfrica
Share

Image copyrightAFPImage captionGunfire erupted shortly after Mr Machar (L) and Mr Kiir met on Friday
SOUTH SUDAN STRIFE
- ‘We want peace — and ice cream’
- Malakal: The city that vanished in South Sudan
- South Sudan’s men of dishonour
- South Sudan: Obstacles to a lasting peace
by Rashida Adjani and Biodun Iginla, BBC News, N’Djamena
Dozens of people have been killed in clashes in South Sudan’s capital Juba, military, medical and journalistic sources have said.
Gunfire broke out on Friday evening near the state house where President Salva Kiir was meeting his sometime rival, Vice-President Riek Machar.
Estimates of the death toll vary, but most accounts put the number over 100 — some as high as 150.
A 2015 peace deal to end a 20-month civil war has failed to quell unrest.
Juba is in lockdown as South Sudan, the world’s newest country, marks the fifth anniversary of independence from neighbouring Sudan.
Friday’s fighting was apparently sparked by a shootout between Mr Kiir’s and Mr Machar’s bodyguards . The two men met at the presidential palace on Friday.
The half-hour gun battle then escalated, with heavy weapons and artillery being used in several parts of the city.
In a speech marking independence, Mr Kiir said: “Making South Sudan glorious will only happen if we see ourselves as South Sudanese first rather than tribal or political groupings,” Juba’s Miraya FM station reported.
He added that everyone in South Sudan should “use our rich cultural diversity as the source of our unity”.
‘We want peace — and ice cream’
Out of media player. Press enter to return or tab to continue.
Media captionFive years of South Sudan
On Saturday, a South Sudanese journalist told the BBC that other journalists stuck inside the state house counted at least 100 bodies, inside and outside the compound.
A hospital doctor told the Associated Press that scores of bodies had been brought in, while a military spokesman for the opposition — Mr Machar’s faction — told Reuters 115 people had been killed.
Mr Kiir and Mr Machar described Friday’s violence as “unfortunate”.
Under a peace deal agreed last August, the two armed factions took up positions in Juba in April.
Tens of thousands died in the civil war and millions were forced from their homes.
South Sudan, the world’s youngest nation, is so short of money that the authorities say no official anniversary celebrations will be held.
The streets of Juba were reported to be quiet on Saturday.
Roadblocks have been set up in the capital, with troops searching people for weapons.

SHARE THIS STORY ABOUT SHARING
SOUTH SUDAN STRIFE
- ‘We want peace — and ice cream’
- 27 April 2016
- Malakal: The city that vanished in South Sudan
- 24 October 2015
- South Sudan’s men of dishonour
- 28 September 2015
- South Sudan: Obstacles to a lasting peace
- 26 August 2015
- Why does South Sudan matter so much to the US?
- 31 August 2015
- South Sudan businesses struggle in a ‘war economy’
- 28 August 2015
- From ‘Lost Boy’ to education minister in South Sudan
- 9 July 2015
- Tracking down South Sudan’s missing
- 6 May 2015
- Investigating rape and murder in South Sudan’s Bentiu
- 9 May 2014
- South Sudan: What is the fighting about?
- 10 May 2014
- South Sudan: Under attack outside Bor
- 6 January 2014
- South Sudan profile
- 27 April 2016
BACKGROUND
- Profile: South Sudan’s Salva Kiir
- 23 December 2013
- South Sudan’s Riek Machar profiled
- 26 April 2016
- Profile: South Sudan army defector Peter Gadet
- 11 July 2014
AFRICA
Posted by Biodun Iginla at 7:17 PM

Email ThisBlogThis!Share to TwitterShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Labels: bbc news, Juba, Rashida Adjani and Biodun Iginla, Riek Machar. Salva Kiir,South Sudan clashes