Turkey coup attempt: Istanbul rally against plot
SUNDAY, AUGUST 7, 2016
- 21 H.26 GMT/UTC/ZULU TIME
- From the sectionEurope
Share

Image copyrightAFP
TURKEY COUP ATTEMPT
- Who was behind attempted Turkey coup?
- Turkey coup: Father who died defying rebel troops
- Why mobiles beat tanks in Turkey’s coup
- Turkey’s security weakened by botched coup
by Alara Berrak and Biodun Iginla, BBC News
Hundreds of thousands of people have gathered in Turkey’s biggest city, Istanbul, for a rally to protest against last month’s attempted coup.
President Recep Tayyip Erdogan was joined by opposition leaders in addressing the crowd.
In his opening remarks, Mr Erdogan said he would not block the return of the death penalty to Turkey.
More than 270 people died in events surrounding the 15 July coup attempt, which triggered a government crackdown.
Thousands of alleged supporters of a US-based Turkish cleric Fethullah Gulen — who denies any role in fomenting the coup — were detained or dismissed from government jobs.
Western nations have been critical of the government’s response to the coup. The European Union — which Turkey has applied to join — refuses to accept capital punishment in member states.
What you need to know about failed coup
‘What’s happening to our country?’
Mr Erdogan told the rally: “It is the Turkish parliament that will decide on the death penalty… I declare it in advance, I will approve the decision made by the parliament.
“They say there is no death penalty in the EU… Well, the US has it; Japan has it; China has it; most of the world has it. So they are allowed to have it. We used to have it until 1984. Sovereignty belongs to the people, so if the people make this decision I am sure the political parties will comply.”

Image copyrightAFPImage captionPresident Erdogan received an ecstatic reception
The president railed against Mr Gulen’s movement, again accusing it of being behind the coup attempt and hinting of further hardline measures to come.
“July 15 showed our friends that this country isn’t just strong against political, economic and diplomatic attacks, but against military sabotage as well. It showed that it will not fall, it will not be derailed,” Mr Erdogan said.
“Of course we have to uncover all members of this organisation and eradicate them within the framework of the law, but if we content ourselves with just that, then we as a state and a nation will leave weak our defence against similar viruses.”
Out of media player. Press enter to return or tab to continue.
Media captionHuge crowds rallied in Istanbul, as BBC Persian’s Khashayar Joneidi reports.
The “Democracy and Martyrs’ Rally” was the climax of three weeks of nightly demonstrations by Mr Erdogan’s supporters around the country.
Kurdish groups were not invited, because of alleged links to militants.
Speaking ahead of Mr Erdogan, Prime Minister Binali Yildirim told the rally that Mr Gulen would be brought to Turkey and made to pay the price for the coup attempt.
“Let all of you know, the leader of this terrorist group will come to Turkey and pay for what he did,” Mr Yildirim said.
In a rare address to a public rally, the head of Turkey’s armed forces, Hulusi Akar, said “traitors” would be punished in the harshest way, and thanked civilians for their role in defeating the uprising.
FORMER ALLY
The crackdown in Turkey has seen tens of thousands of public sector workers suspended or dismissed, with many having their passports cancelled. There has also been a massive reshuffle of the military.
About 18,000 people have been detained or arrested.
Local branches of the AK Party have been told to begin a purge of suspected Gulenists in their ranks.
Mr Gulen had been a close ally of President Erdogan until a bitter split between his movement and the party of the president three years ago.
Turkey has listed Mr Gulen’s movement as a terrorist organisation.

Image copyrightREUTERS

Image copyrightREUTERS
SHARE THIS STORY ABOUT SHARING
TURKEY COUP ATTEMPT
- Who was behind attempted Turkey coup?
- 16 July 2016
- Turkey coup: Father who died defying rebel troops
- 27 July 2016
- Why mobiles beat tanks in Turkey’s coup
- 18 July 2016
- Turkey’s security weakened by botched coup
- 19 July 2016
- Turkish cleric Gulen condemns ‘witch-hunt’
- 19 July 2016
- In Pictures: Battle on Bosphorus Bridge
- 16 July 2016
- Why Turkish stability matters to the region and beyond
- 16 July 2016
EXPLAINERS
- A brief guide to Turkey’s coup
- 17 July 2016
- Video What next for Turkey’s Erdogan?
- 17 July 2016
- Video Why did the coup in Turkey fail?
- 16 July 2016
- Who’s the target of Turkey’s purge?
- 20 July 2016
- Will Turkey bring back death penalty?
- 19 July 2016
- Fethullah Gulen: Powerful but reclusive Turkish cleric
- 27 January 2014
VIDEO
- Video How the attempted coup in Turkey unfolded
- 16 July 2016
- Video ‘I was run over by two tanks’
- 20 July 2016
- Video Soldiers storm CNN building in Turkey
- 16 July 2016
- Video Turkey coup: Soldier pulled from tank
- 17 July 2016
EUROPE
Posted by Biodun Iginla at 2:30 PM

Email ThisBlogThis!Share to TwitterShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Labels: #BBC News, Alara Berrak and Biodun Iginla, Fethullah Gulen, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, Turkey coup attempt