Gemeinsam e.V.

Accessible Webdesign — Final Project at Ironhack Bootcamp

Gemeinsam e.V. Prototype and responsive version after 2 weeks of work

Finally, the last weeks of Ironhack Bootcamp took part and we were working in a Team of three for our Stakeholder “Gemeinsam e.V.”

Gemeinsam e.V. is an institution based in the south of Bavaria, Ludwigsburg. Their goal is to help people with disabilities as well as their caregivers to get in touch with each other and inform them about the most important changes in-laws. Also, they do plan events for all of these people.

Actual Website and Logo of Gemeinsam e.V.

1.Evaluation of the user needs.

  • we found that the users miss a function to get in touch with each other.
  • we found that the users want to share their experiences.

2. Redesign the website and make it accessible and rebranding including work out a new Logo.

The first week we did a lot of research, did interviews with the users and the stakeholder to get an insight into who we are working for. Based on our research we define a persona that represents our average user.

This is Monika, 55 years old. She has a 20-year-old son with down syndrome that she has to take care of. Monika wants to use the website of Gemeinsam e.V. to look for information and socialize with the community.

Monika is our main persona, but still, the website has to be accessible for disabled people as well! So…

… how might we improve social connections on the Gemeinsam e.V. website inclusively?

We read a lot about guidelines and best practices for accessible design.

We included a function to customize text sizes for people with visual impairments, and we also added an easy language option that changes the content of the website to a simpler language. Our navigation is extra easy with a second navigation bar and we label icons and functions and allowed the website to be navigated by tabs.

Mid-Fi in progress.

To test our ideas for the Website we started with a paper prototype. We did a lot of testing with people in class and did some iterations. After that, we did a mid-fi Prototype to test with the real client and found we need to do some more iterations!

Finally, we came to our last solution for the prototype we presented after two weeks. For responsive we reorganized the articles to make sure it is easy to read and find. The menu can be found in the burger menu. When users open it the categories are shown the same way as on the website, very big and very readable as well.

Watch our the video to find out about the user flow and prototype!

At the beginning of the process, we were overwhelmed about how to make it accessible for everyone, but we found that something it’s better than nothing. Begin with a few functions that make the website accessible is better than not starting at all.

Also, the perfect persona doesn’t exist, people do age, people wear glasses and people can be temporarily impaired.

And finally, accessibility is not the same for everyone. Something that seems very accessible to us may not be accessible to everyone.

In the end of the two weeks, we ended up with a prototype and one user flow.

So, first of all, we will continue to work out every screen of the website.

Also, we plan to do more research on accessibility, to make sure we missed nothing important. And, we want to add a read-aloud button for blind people. At least, we also overthink color theme and work out a little more modern.

After that, we will lunch the website in 2o2o!

Frontend Developer and UX/UI Designer with a background in fashion design.

Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store