How to Mine: Bitcoin Gold (BTG)
Brought to you by icemining.ca — the cool pool
- Released: Hardforked from Bitcoin on 24 October 2017
- Algorithm: Equihash(144,5), or Equihash-BTG
- Block time: 10 minutes
- Block reward: 12.5, halving approximately mid-2020
- Block maturity: 100 blocks
- Total supply: 17,513,924(at time of this publication), 21,000,000 max
To mine BTG, you’ll need:
- A mining rig, or a contract with MiningRigRentals
- A wallet, to store and manage your funds
- Mining software that is compatible with the Equihash(144,5) algorithm BgoldPoW Personality
BTG Storage and Management:
- Wallets for Windows, Linux, and macOS can be found at https://github.com/BTCGPU/BTCGPU/releases
- An Electrum wallet for Windows, Linux, and macOS is also available and can be found at https://bitcoingold.org/electrumg/ and can be used to avoid syncing with the entire BTG blockchain(approximately 165 GB)
- Download the appropriate wallet and extract the folder to a known location.
- Open bitcoin-qt.exe, in the BitcoinGold folder, and make a note of the directory the wallet will store data to.
- Close bitcoin-qt and navigate to your wallet’s data folder(as noted above)
- Make a copy of your wallet.dat file, and store it elsewhere so that you have a BACKUP in case of data loss
- To create an address, click on the “Receive” tab in your BitcoinGold Core wallet, fill in optional fields if desired, click “Request payment”. You should note this address for later. You can also import this wallet to the Electrum wallet for use on a seperate computer or device. This is recommended, unless you are ok with downloading 165GB per BTG core wallet.
*NOTE: Now that you have an address, you can begin mining, even if your BTG core wallet isn’t synchronized yet.
To import your BTG core wallet to the Electrum wallet:
- Click on “Help” drop down menu, go to “Debug window”
- Select the “Console” tab
- In the console, input “walletpassphrase <your wallet password> 60”, which will unlock your wallet for 60 seconds so that you can retrieve your privkey
- Next, input “dumpprivkey <your BTG address>”
- Launch the Electrum wallet, and select a name for your wallet or leave as default, hit next
- Tick the box next to “Import BitcoinGold addresses or private keys” hit next
- Paste the privkey you received from the BitcoinGold core console, and hit next
- You will be asked to make a password, since you used a privkey, and you have full access to this wallet now on the blockchain. It’s highly recommended to make a password here.
BTG Mining software:
- AMD (OpenCL)
1. Windows: lolMiner 0.7
2. Linux: lolMiner 0.71
- NVIDIA (Cuda)
Windows/Linux: Gminer CUDA Equihash Miner v1.36
To start mining, you will need to use the accompanying .bat or .sh file, for Windows and Linux miners, respectively. Paste the following sample in your .bat/.sh file and replace the wallet with your public BTG address(noted earlier). Also, you need to make sure that you set the “pers” to BgoldPoW if you rent hash from MRR. Some miners DO have an “auto” setting, but its best to use the proper setting for BTG.
miner.exe --algo 144_5 --pers BgoldPoW --server stratum.icemining.ca --port 3857 --user youraddress.rigname --pass x
lolMiner.exe --coin BTG --pool stratum.icemining.ca --port 3857 --user youraddress.rigname --pass x
To have your miner automatically reset when it fails, add the following:
- Windows (.bat):
- Linux (.sh):
You can check on your mining progress by going to https://icemining.ca/?address=<wallet_address> and replace <wallet_address) with your BTG address.
- Create wallet and flight sheet as seen in following images