5 Things Happening Right Now in Tech
Whew, the internet has been aflutter lately hasn’t it? From nationwide political protests to Beyoncé’s pregnancy announcement topping the IG chart for most likes ever, it seems a single hour can’t pass without carrying a viral news story along with it.
In any case, we thought we’d share some headlines from our corner of the world. We’ll keep it 100% positive too because we have a feeling you need that right now.
- Relive the simpler days of messaging with the app that brings an AOL throwback…well, back. Listen, iMessage, you can keep your fancy confetti-shower texts. We’ll stick to the beautiful nostalgia of creaking door sounds.
- Snap is going public with a valuation reaching as high as $25 billion. Not too shabby for Evan Spiegel, the 26-year-old CEO who co-founded the app while studying at Stanford.
- Old news and not remotely related to innovation, but a dog was reelected mayor of a town in Minnesota last year. The world should know about Mayor Duke. Don’t you think?
- Google and Facebook users (AKA everyone) can rest easier knowing there’s a better way to protect their account from hackers. Universal 2nd Factor (U2F) allows account owners to log in using an encrypted key in lieu of two-factor authentication. (They’re not the only folks who love encryption. Ahem.)
- Target may have scrapped their “Store of the Future,” but there’s no shortage of companies joining the race toward automated payments. From Amazon Go to Rebecca Minkoff’s Soho store, “contactless” has taken on a whole new meaning.
- The CEO of Uber has backtracked on his decision to work with the Trump administration after #DeleteUber began trending on social media. Positive news? Indeed. Political views aside, Uber’s move speaks volumes about today’s consumers who vote with their dollars and their keyboards.
Join us next week for a special Valentine’s Day edition of the Bitmo newsletter which will contain precisely zero red hearts. Promise.