One of the best things you can do to improve your productivity is exercise. That’s right! Spending 30 minutes to an hour a day, three to four times a week will make you a better marketer. See for yourself.
You’re busy, I get it. How could you possibly find the time to get exercise? Before I started running, I got up at 5:30am — enough time to get ready for work and help get the kids off to school.
I had to be at the office at 7:30am and didn’t leave until 5:00. I would pick up my kids from school and head home for dinner.
By the time we were finished we had about an hour of family time before putting the kids to bed and then my wife and I would take care of the household chores until we were exhausted and ready for bed ourselves. Yeah, I feel your pain!
When something is important in your life, you make time for it.
I started by running during my lunch hour three days a week. On the weekends I would get up before sunrise and run so I wouldn’t miss out on family time.
In less than two years, I went from doing nothing to running a marathon. You can do it too!
Tips for getting in a workout during lunch
Find a place nearby
- Park (there was a park with a nature trail five minutes from my office!)
- Around your office
Pack a bag
- Workout clothes
- Bath wipes (I would fill a bath cloth with body wash and put it in a freezer bag and then run warm water over it when I was ready to use it). This also worked well for cleaning my hair.
- Hand towels (1 for wiping up sweat, 1 for drying after bathing)
Remember to cool down
- Give yourself a good 20 to 30 minutes. If you don’t, you WILL continue to sweat after getting cleaned up. Keep this in mind when scheduling meetings!
- Pack a lunch that is easy to digest, can be eaten quickly and has protein for muscle recovery. (my favorite was a wrap made with peanut butter and bananas)
- Don’t forget the snacks! One for the morning and one for afternoon. When you workout, your body will need more fuel. (fruits and nuts worked well for me)
My best ideas come during a run. I have 30 or more minutes by myself to let my imagination go wild. I’ll often hear something during a podcast that gets my mind racing off in a new direction.
And speaking of podcasts …
When you work out, you have more time to expand your knowledge. I subscribe to several podcasts and listen to them during my runs.
Here are a few podcasts that marketers will love:
- Social Pros Podcast with Jay Baer
- The #AskGaryVee Podcast with Gary Vaynerchuk
- Starve the Doubts with Jared Easley and Kimanzi Constable
- The Unpodcast with Scott Stratten and Alison Kramer
- The Social Media Pubcast with Jon Loomer
- The BeanCast with Bob Knorpp
- Social Media Marketing with Michael Stelzner
- Online Marketing Made Easy with Amy Porterfield
- Marketing Group Therapy Podcast with BJ Smith (of course!)
Do you have suggestions for fitting in a workout? Leave a comment!
This article originally appeared at BJSmith.co.
Creative Commons icons used in the video from the Noun Project: Cheerleader designed by Marie Coons, Sadness designed by Juan Pablo Bravo, Car designed by Simon Child, Gauge designed by Olivier Guin, Person by Milton Raposo C. Rêgo Jr.