10) The founders were much more libertarian than the author is and his attempt to paint them as some sort of precursor to modern-day social democrats is goofy. Thomas Jefferson once said the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of patriots and tyrants and that a revolution every 20–30 years would be a good thing for the country. Try saying that on CNN today.
9) The US economy has not been “deregulated.” It has seen a steady growth of the regulatory state over the past 30 years. That’s why life is increasingly sucky for those who lack political power.
8) Libertarians don’t really regard tax cuts as the be-all and end-all of their politics. Blame “trickle-down” on Grover Norquist.
7) Libertarians don’t say the poor deserve to be poor. Argue your case without making sh*t up.
6) LOL. Ask Alton Sterling, Eric Garner, or Philando Castile if the government is nice or naughty. If the answer isn’t clear enough, ask the bodies of the dead buried at Wounded Knee.
5) Idiotic non-sequitur, with biased language to boot. He says that a massive warfare/welfare state like what we have today a) helps the poor and b) would be no bigger than a government that protects the property of “the rich”. In the first place, that’s simply ridiculous because the govt does much more to f*ck the poor than it does to help them, people other than “the rich” own property, and a government that protects those rights would be dramatically smaller than a government that comprehensively organizes society and the economy for the benefit of the most powerful (which is what government does in practice.)
4) Let me get this straight — someone who walks into your house and steals your sh*t is not using force against you?
3) It is entirely possible to separate social and fiscal beliefs. George W. Bush passed the largest expansion of Medicare in history but I doubt you would argue, based on that, that he is a huge social liberal.
2) Masses of evidence that deregulation does help the middle class. We don’t have a deregulated market now, and many New Deal regulations were intended to dole out favors to win FDR supporters while more or less ignoring people who would vote for him anyways.
1) Blah blah blah.