How to get inspired when you’re in a creative rut?
I was literally sitting here scratching my head and avoiding my work because I couldn’t focus. For the past 3 days, I hid in my room. I came back to work this Monday, after 2.5 weeks off due to a surgery and was confined to bed rest. When I couldn’t do what I wanted to do — all I wanted was to do it. Now I have clients relying on me and needing their deadlines met — I want to fall into a black hole.
Yeah, I get it. This is the cycle of life. We want to create. And then there are these periods where your mind dries up like a menopausal vagina. Graphic, I know.
I was trying SO HARD to work on this website project. Usually I nail my websites —but this one was proving to suck the blood out of me, creatively and mentally because I couldn’t think straight. But, I swore I wouldn’t let it get the better of me. However, when you feel like your creative reigns have been taken away from you, it’s the worst feeling in the world.
But I quickly discovered how to get inspired and maybe this will help you too.
- Go with it: Sometimes, you just need to “check out”. Yup. If you feel like watching Netflix for 8 hours straight (I did, I binged on Gypsy) and literally let my mind get the rest it needed. This way you are allowing yourself to escape and not think. It’s what you need sometimes.
- Read: I picked up a bunch of books that would stimulate my brain, yet relax me at the same time. I like to read business books or I am a total self-help junkie. I am reading Worthy by Nancy Levin, and The Miracle Morning by Hal Elrod.
- Meditate: I know I need to do this more often but I don’t. I have been meditating this past week and yes, I am going to say this — I BALANCED MY CHAKRAS. Our energy has everything to do with EVERYTHING.
- Socialize: I went out after weeks and saw some of my oldest friends. Not only did I feel better, I felt GOOD. I was laughing, had a drink, ate some delicious food. We need human interaction because it’s so easy to isolate yourself as an entrepreneur.
- Journal: I don’t do this enough. But this week I have written more in my journal than I have in a few weeks. It’s so important to unload your feelings. Also, your journal won’t talk back. I highly recommend this because it’s self-therapy and cathartic.
- Rest: If you need a nap, take a fucking nap. All I did this week was literally sleep. Sometimes my naps were 20 minutes and some turned into deep sleep that my body obviously needed. When we rest, we heal.
That’s all I’ve got. I am pretty much half way done the 2nd draft of this project and if you feel uninspired, anxious, whatever — take care of yourself because if you aren’t looking after you — you’re no good for anyone else.
If you have any suggestions for getting inspired, relaxing etc, feel free to shoot me an email email@example.com or comment below!