Inspired by a few attempts at recreating Popeye’s fried chicken (my last meal as a meat eater, about 9 years ago)….
What you need:
- 1 package of seitan (preferably “chicken” flavored”)
- 1 package of oyster or maiitake mushrooms
- 1 vegan egg (2 tbs egg mix and 1/2 cup cold water) or 2 flax eggs
- 1 cup nut milk or no-chicken vegetable broth if the seitan is not already marinated
- 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbs ground mustard
- 1 tsp Tabasco or hot sauce
Drain seitan and pull into strips. Whisk marinade together in a large bowl. Add seitan and mushrooms. Refrigerated for 30 minutes.
- 1.5 cups flour
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1tsp thyme
- 1tsp paprika
- Dash of cayenne
Blend dredge ingredients. Place in small bowl.
Preheat shallow cast iron pan of canola or vegetable oil to 350 degrees.
Remove seitan and mushrooms from marinade and roll in dredge mixture until completely coated.
Fry in oil for 2–3 minutes each side.
For the pieces that are small, roll in four, squeeze out excess liquid, form into chicken tenders, then roll in dredge mixture again.
Place fried pieces on paper towels and serve warm.