Securing WordPress Sites
We take security of our sites (and our customers) seriously. Our primary focus is dealing with agencies of varying sizes on just about any of their technology needs but one of our specialties is securing and optimizing your WordPress site(s). At any given time we are working with WordPress sites across dozens of servers.
Here are some tips from our experience that are fairly easy to implement if you only have one or two sites.
- WordPress updates must be done in a controlled manner,monitored and verified.
- You need to have some sort of process to scan the sites daily, and someone to perform remediation on what they find.
- Perform daily scans against the WordPress repository for changed files. This is normally a sure sign that you have been infected.
- Offsite Backups, backups, and backups. Hopefully you see the importance of backups.
- Special .htaccess filtering and settings (these are can be server dependent and implemented in multiple ways depending on your situation)
- Blacklist monitoring for the server IP. If you are black listed
If you are a little more technical
- Put all your sites on SMTP mail keep them off the server. There are any number of plugins that will do this.
In this tutorial we will show you how to configure WordPress to work with your SMTP server instead of the PHP Mail…www.siteground.com
- Install and configure ClamAV to give you daily reports
How to Install ClamAV and Configure Daily Scanning on CentOS This article will guide you through the installation of…www.centosblog.com
- Setup and configure Nagios for server monitoring.
Download Now "Nagios is an integral part of our infrastructure. By notifying us immediately of a service outage, we…www.nagios.com
- Install and configure CFX . (Config Server is an tool we swear by)
ConfigServer eXploit Scanner (cxs) is a tool from us that performs active scanning of files as they are uploaded to the…configserver.com
There is any level of depth and complexity you can get into with making sure that your WordPress sites are secure and your customers are happy. The one thing I can guarantee you is if you are running more than a few WordPress sites and you don’t have a protocol in place you and your clients will wake up to a nasty surprise. I've literally seen it 100’s of times..
- One of the huge mistakes people make is that they try to force an interest on themselves. You don’t choose your passions; your passions choose you. — Jeff Bezos