25 Ideas for Holiday Fun
‘Tis the season for spending money you don’t have, stressing over holiday plans, and fighting your aunt for the last chocolate banana drop cookie. As joyful as this time can be, it can also be stressful. In order to avoid turning into a Scrooge or Grinch, here are some ideas to help you get in that holiday spirit. You worked hard all year and you deserve to relax and have a little fun.
- Decorate the house — Hang some stockings and lights around the place. A happier environment will make a happier you.
- Play Christmas trivia — Get some family members or friends together and see who has the most knowlegde of Christmas movies, songs, traditions etc.
- Cut out snowflakes — This is an easy way to add some character to your kitchen or living room as you can hang them on walls or windows. Great craft for kids!
4. Go sled riding — This is generally free at any park with a hill. Plus, it’s a great workout walking up the hill 20 times!
5. Make ginger bread houses — Use your creativity to design a house for the ginger bread man with your favorite candies. See how long it lasts before you start eating little pieces of it.
6. Have a Christmas movie marathon — Grab a blanket, cuddle up with a hot cocoa and enjoy your favorite holiday movies. Some of mine are “Elf,” “A Christmas Story,” and “Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation.”
7. Build a snowman — Classic I know, but it’s a must.
8. Game night — Dust off the old checkers set or grab a holiday themed monopoly and enjoy some friendly competition.
9. Go iceskating — Head up to the rink, tie up your skates and hit the ice. Or just go to watch noobs fall on their butts.
10. MAKE COOKIES — YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MANY CHRISTMAS COOKIES!!! They are also fun to decorate:)
11. Make ornaments — There are a variety of ways you can make tree ornaments. In the past I have gotten clear, glass ornaments and poured paint in them. Then put the cap on and swirl the paint around. They turn out unique and beautiful.
12. Gift exchange/secret santa — This is great for a group of friends. Gifts can be small or big and eliminates the need to get something for everyone.
13. Try skiing or snowboarding — This can be hard to master but is really fun once you learn. (Be careful on the ski lifts)
14. Play Christmas charades — Act as characters from christmas movies.
15. Go to a christmas concert — Wheather it’s the Transiberian Orchestra, Pentatonix or even a local group, christmas concerts are a great way to get in the spirit.
16. Christmas karaoke — belch out your favorite Mariah Carey song like no one is listening.
17. Light Show — There are light displays that you can walk or drive through. These are relatively cheap and who does’t love festive lights?!
18. Design holiday shirts — customize your own shirts by painting, dying or sewing on your favorite holiday figures or symbols.
19. Go caroling — “The best way to spread Christmas cheer, is singing loud for all to hear.” -Buddy the Elf
20. Tree hunting — Go find the perfect family tree at a tree farm (or the Walmart Christmas isle.) Bring it home and decorate it with your favorite ornaments and tinsel.
21. See the nutcracker — Leave the men out of this one, but take the girls out and enjoy this classic Christmas play.
22. Have a snowball fight — Take some of your anger out by pegging your brother in the face! When mom yells at you, tell her you have bad aim and couldn’t help it.
23. Paint a winter scene — get a canvas and some brushes and paint an ideal winter atmosphere whether its a fresh coat of snow on the trees or a dog attacking the snowman you just built.
24. Have an ugly sweater contest — winner gets their food first at the Christmas dinner.
25. SEE SANTA — duhhhhhh!!!
Hopefully you can enjoy at least one of these activities. This is a time to be thankful and relax. If you couldn’t find anything that interests you in that list, then you might be stuck as a Scrooge. So I’ll give you a bonus idea!
26. Write down everything you are thankful for — Just do it. There are people who aren’t as fortunate and would kill for what you have. Be thankful for what you have.
Stop fighting the holiday spirit and let it in. Embrace it because it only comes once a year. Now that you aren’t a grinch anymore, start over. Read the list again. Make the most out of this holiday season with your friends and family. Take some time to relax.
Now, give the whos their tree back;)