Soup is my favorite way to make sure I’m getting my daily dose of nutrient packed food. Today, I am going to be sharing with you my favorite vegetable soup you can make as we head into the colder months. It’s great to meal prep and is simply delicious.
- 2 TBS Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Red onion, diced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, chopped
- 1/2 -1 Zucchini, chopped
- 2 Carrots, chopped
- 2 Celery Stalks, chopped
- 3.5 Cups of Vegetable Broth
- 1/4 Cup of Plain Tomato Sauce
- Smoked Paprika*
- Roasted Garlic Powder*
- Italian Seasoning*
- Salt and Pepper*
- Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
- 1.5 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 Can of Lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 Can of Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- Handful of kale, spinach, or any leafy green of your choice.
- Chop all of your veggies.
- Add olive oil to large pot and add the onion, red bell pepper, carrots, zucchini, and celery. Cook vegetables till the onion is translucent (about 8 minutes on medium heat).
- Add the vegetable broth and tomato sauce along with all of your spices. Turn the heat up and let soup come to a boil. Once boiling turn to a low heat, cover the pot and simmer for about 12–15 minutes. Stirring frequently.
( NOTE: there are no exact measurements for the spices. Everyone has different taste preferences so add as much or as little of the spices you want. Feel free to add any that aren’t listed or take away any you do not like).
- Add the lentils, black beans, and spinach and cook for another 5–6 mins on low heat (until the spinach is wilted).
- When soup is done, remove from heat and add more salt and pepper to taste. This will help make the flavors really come together.
- Serve and enjoy! This soup will store for about 4 days in the fridge. I recommend making this soup the night before you want to eat it to really let the flavor come through!