Why a Social Media Strategy Doesn’t Just Reside in Your Head
As a social media strategist, I enjoy creating tangible strategies and creative methods for my clients to meet their business goals and objectives.
One interesting aspect of being a social media strategist that I didn’t quite expect when I transitioned from being a web design and development shop owner into the social media profession, was the misconception that individuals had about what a social media strategy truly was.
In my eyes, a social media strategy is a road map for the success of all social media marketing efforts. Taking it a step further, a social media strategy is a tangible, living, breathing document that can be continuously updated and reviewed on a revolving basis. In our electronic world, the document doesn’t have to be a print out, but rather a document that resides on Google Apps or another electronic format that allows easy editing. What I am NOT talking about is an idea or “strategy” that resides in your head.
What is a Social Media Strategy?
- A social media strategy is a roadmap for all of your social media marketing efforts
- It’s an executive level document that lays out what you’re going to do and how you’re going to do it
- The social media strategy is based on research, best practices and social media channel usage demographics
The Benefits of a Social Media Strategy
There are many benefits to putting keystrokes to your strategies:
- Clearly identifies your target audience
- Outlines where to focus your spending and how ROI will be calculated
- Ensures all of your organization’s key players are on the same page
- Encourages brand consistency across all channels
The Purposes of a Social Media Strategy
- Getting your executive leadership or client on board with your social media marketing efforts
- Gives you a clear guide on where you should be spending your time and money in the social media world
- Ensures your success in all areas of social media marketing
Keeping all of this in mind, if you are responsible for social media marketing at your firm or own a business and you do not have a social media strategy in place, now is the time to author one.
I’ve created a simple and easy course which outlines all of this out and walks you through the authoring of a social media strategy from concept to creation. Check it out, and make sure you use coupon code MEDIUM for a $50 discount.